• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Steelhead Trout ~ Multi-Tasking

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Man it looks AMAZING!! I’ve caught a ton of steelhead. A couple nearby rivers have nice runs of Manistee strain that run in the fall. Crazy thing is someone told me they we weren’t very good to eat so never tried them. I haven’t got out much to fish for them the last couple years. I’ll have to try next fall.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Man it looks AMAZING!! I’ve caught a ton of steelhead. A couple nearby rivers have nice runs of Manistee strain that run in the fall. Crazy thing is someone told me they we weren’t very good to eat so never tried them. I haven’t got out much to fish for them the last couple years. I’ll have to try next fall.
There is good steelhead fishing next door in Idaho and some fishermen count the number of strikes rather than fish because they are hard to land in a big river.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Dang that looks good! I could eat steelhead once or twice a week! Hell I could eat just about any fish once or twice a week! Yours looks amazing! Im a little jealous right now!

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Big like to your posts. Thanks for sharing.
I've always had smoked fish that flakes, so overcooked by your guidelines?
May have to experiment.
That's understandable, and you need a somewhat fatty fish for smoking.
... I've come to the conclusion that some folks that say they don't like trout really mean they don't like bones, and trout have a bunch of bones!
... All that said, you can still catch and release a trout, but you can't un-shoot an elk.
Funny, you cannot un-spear a fish either.
I have learned to deal with fish bones, too. Fish bones has nothing to do with flavor on my plate. I don't like (any) salmon, steel head, lake trout, or river trout. That is fresh or smoked.
I have tried the same procedure on Ahi Tuna, and it's a nice cross over for people that don't like sushi or want something different than salmon.
I am really excited to see you mention yellow fin. I really like tuna on the grill cooked through not half sushi rare. My wife (that loves salmon) is so-so on tuna that doesn't come out of a can.
I'm going to brine and smoke a few pieces of Ahi. I've got a Big Chief, too. Mighty fine cooler smoker.

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 27, 2015
That’s some nice fish! BUT I’m not sure how you found my honey hole spot to find them.....lol

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
WOOHOO!! Thanks for the ride on the carousel, a nice Saturday surprise :emoji_thumbsup:

Big like to your posts. Thanks for sharing.
I've always had smoked fish that flakes, so overcooked by your guidelines?
May have to experiment.
Funny, you cannot un-spear a fish either.
I have learned to deal with fish bones, too. Fish bones has nothing to do with flavor on my plate. I don't like (any) salmon, steel head, lake trout, or river trout. That is fresh or smoked.
I am really excited to see you mention yellow fin. I really like tuna on the grill cooked through not half sushi rare. My wife (that loves salmon) is so-so on tuna that doesn't come out of a can.
I'm going to brine and smoke a few pieces of Ahi. I've got a Big Chief, too. Mighty fine cooler smoker.
For me, flaky is too done. I try to buy skin on and I never turn it. If I do get skinless I cutout a piece of parchment and spray it with olive oil and use that as a heat shield. I have a thermometer with a super thin probe and 140° - 142° is my magic number on grilled, and I let it rest for a couple of minutes. I really watch the albumen too, once I see traces of it I know I'm close. I go 145° on my cured and smoked, and will let it cool down on the counter, then refrigerate overnight before eating.

I'm with you on grilled tuna, I use a little griddle and like the inside a warm pink, not a cool red. I add toasted sesame seeds to the edges too.
8OnWIT1.jpg

That’s some nice fish! BUT I’m not sure how you found my honey hole spot to find them.....lol
Yep, it's a popular place and the parking lot is YUGE.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Congrats on the ride.
I'll try the smoke both ways and see what the fans prefer.
I'm with you on sesame flavor. I use a couple drips of toasted sesame oil. Wife uses a couple of shakes
Nice seared tuna! Just LOL that stuff!
Laugh Out Loud that stuff? That's a LOL moment...

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
You must be a Darkhouse spearer as well?
Nope. Not a winter fishing fan.
My Father and Uncle were fanatics. I ... heard ... rumors of having to un-spear a fish or two.
I do miss winter catch northern pike.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Nope. Not a winter fishing fan.
My Father and Uncle were fanatics. I ... heard ... rumors of having to un-spear a fish or two.
I do miss winter catch northern pike.
Well you know what they say about ice fishing? 'You can get just as drunk on water, as you can on land'.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Well you know what they say about ice fishing? 'You can get just as drunk on water, as you can on land'.
I never heard that saying. Know lots of people that can attest to it.
Wife works at Hospital that gets rotating providers in for Emergency Department (ED). More than 1 has requested to go winter fishing as the concept of walking on to a frozen lake blows their mind

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.