Steak And Sausage Extravaganza: An Epic Meal w/ Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Decided to invite quite a few friends over for dinner last night. The invite wasn't sent until Thursday so with the short notice, most of the people already had plans and could not make it. The five that did attend were our absolute best friends so sometimes less is more, and this was one of those cases. Since it was a small group I decided to do something special and it turned out to be an epic meal. I wanted to showcase some of the sausage I've made and treat people to a really nice meal. We had an appetizer plate with sausage & cheese, some top-shelf steaks, stuffed Portabella mushrooms, home made sourdough rolls, more sausage, and a nice salad. To save myself from typing the word "homemade" a dozen times, all of the sausage, the bacon that was used, and the rolls were all homemade. The rolls were made by one of our friends as a table offering.

Appetizer plate. From left to right: Andouille, beef Summer sausage (got the recipe here), sliced cheese (DUH!!), garlic and green onion Summer sausage (my recipe), basic Cajun sausage (my recipe).
IMG_20180224_143632.jpg

Small Portabellas with stems removed and cleaned out
IMG_20180224_134459.jpg

Add bacon that's been lightly fried and chopped up
IMG_20180224_134853.jpg

Shredded Mozzarella cheese
IMG_20180224_135505.jpg

Topped with diced green onions
IMG_20180224_140833.jpg

Thick cut USDA Prime NY Strips....God I love my butcher :-)
IMG_20180224_155906.jpg

Lightly brushed with olive oil and a nice shot of blackening season
IMG_20180224_160506.jpg

Steaks on the grill. The sear burner will go to 1100* so I flash blast both sides, move steaks to the center, lower the heat on the sear burner, light the left burner, and leave the center burner off. This will allow the steaks to continue cooking with "indirect" heat.
IMG_20180224_164927_hdr.jpg

'Shrooms on the left burner
IMG_20180224_164946.jpg

A platter full of steaks and my TX Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage. Got this recipe in the sausage forum posted by another member. My take on this one will be posted later
IMG_20180224_170951.jpg

Cross section of the sausage
IMG_20180224_171124.jpg

Sausage sliced and ready to serve. OMG!!! This sausage was SOOO good!!
IMG_20180224_171335.jpg

'Shrooms done. The one in the center cratered but overall they were a huge success. Everybody loved them
IMG_20180224_171451.jpg

Money shot
IMG_20180224_172053.jpg

This was a truly outstanding meal. My wife and I do a lot of entertaining. It's not uncommon that we will serve 60 to 80 people at a time and have served as many as 100. We have prepared literally thousands of meals for our friends but this one goes down in the history books as one of the very best. During dinner however I came to a realization that I'd like to share. These were our very best friends in the world and it'd been months since we had seen them. Looking back over the past few months there was no excuse for this much time to have gone by without reaching out to them. It was a travesty that this had happened. We have all ridden hundreds of thousands of miles together on the motorcycles, shared hundreds of meals, taken vacations together, and traveled abroad, etc. I've come to accept the fact that I'm on the down side of my time on this beloved earth. I've been here longer than I have left to be here, have been truly blessed in my lifetime, and am now avowed that I'll never allow that much time to pass without seeing the people in our lives that are truly special. The best things on earth are the ones we create and are made even better when shared with the people we love. Never again will I miss an opportunity to spend time with these people because once that time is gone, you'll never get it back. This meal was that epic to me and has forever changed my outlook on what's really important.

I'm done for now :-)
Robert

Robert, you outdid yourself on this one!
What a fantastic looking meal!
Of course it's on the carousel!
Congrats!
Al

I like everything about that meal, and about your narration. Well said sir.

"Robert, you outdid yourself on this one!
What a fantastic looking meal!
Of course it's on the carousel!
Congrats!"

WHOA!! I never thought I'd make the carousel in the first place. This is now twice in the last 24 hours and both are still there. I'm honored and once again humbled. I guess Andy Warhol was right when he said "Everybody is famous for 15 minutes". Please excuse me while I bask in my 15 minutes of fame :-) Heap big mucho thanks a-plenty Al !!

Simply amazed,
Robert

"I available for dinner most anytime.:D"

"...dinner for 80 @ tx smokers house!!!! LOL!!"

Bring it on people!! I'll never pass up the opportunity to fire up whatever equipment is needed to cook for a large group of people.....and I have a bunch of it :-) I designed this house, built it, and we moved in right at 4 years ago. It was designed for one purpose only: entertaining. There is substantial square footage in the house but not very many rooms, they are just huge rooms. We have a 1,000 square foot covered patio and over 600 square feet of pool deck where people can hang out, relax, eat, and enjoy a cold libation. When we have large groups I time the cooking so that everything is done before the event starts. We own a whole bunch of crock pots of various sizes and a couple of large roasting pans. All the food is put into these to keep warm, everything else is set out, and people can eat whatever they want whenever they want to. The concept of a plated, sit-down meal just isn't realistic and the buffet line approach simply doesn't work with large groups. People stand in line forever to get something to eat. We have found that people eating at their leisure is a far more feasible way to go and avoids the pitfalls of long lines. This approach also allows me time to enjoy the event and the company versus spending all of my time cooking while everybody else is having a good time.

Party time in Lago!!
Robert

Robert That is a fantastic looking spread,I made a steak for dinner but neglected to take enough pics to post.Points for you
Richie

"I like the mushrooms can you share the details on how to make them?"

It's interesting that you ask that question. That's the one aspect of the meal I highlighted in my post detailing the preparation. Snap the stems out of the mushrooms and clean out the inside with a small knife. Add fried chopped bacon, shredded mozzarella cheese, top with diced green onions. I put them on a bread cooling rack for ease of transportation, put them on the grill over low direct heat until the cheese was melted and bubbling. It was very simple but the end product was otherworldly.

Outstanding meal!!!!

The Jalapeno cheddar sausage really wants to jump off the screen and into my plate! Please post up your recipe/method as I want to make some of it!

"The Jalapeno cheddar sausage really wants to jump off the screen and into my plate! Please post up your recipe/method as I want to make some of it!"

I'll get the recipe and process posted in the Sausage forum some time over the weekend and will let you know when it's done. Today gonna be busy. Spring is coming to Central Texas and it's time to get started making the yard look better than the White House lawn....just what I need is another hobby, and the sad part is that I can't cook or eat the yard. Oh well,it's the wife's passion so I try to keep her happy. She deserves it :-)

Firing up all three lawn tractors,
Robert

Reactions: radio
"The Jalapeno cheddar sausage really wants to jump off the screen and into my plate! Please post up your recipe/method as I want to make some of it!"

I'll get the recipe and process posted in the Sausage forum some time over the weekend and will let you know when it's done. Today gonna be busy. Spring is coming to Central Texas and it's time to get started making the yard look better than the White House lawn....just what I need is another hobby, and the sad part is that I can't cook or eat the yard. Oh well,it's the wife's passion so I try to keep her happy. She deserves it :)

Firing up all three lawn tractors,
Robert
Concentrate on making the wife happy first and foremost!:D One of these days I need to make the short trip to the Lone Star State to help y'all thin out some of those pesky wild hogs! Those young ones sure are tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky