Steak-a-palooza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
As part of the Christmas x-change Robert tx smoker tx smoker sent me a steak box from Piedmontese beef. I was totally blowed away with it. Been looking for a good time to fire up the kettle and the weather and my work schedule (it’s been crazy busy) finally cooperated with me. I called the wife the other day from work and asked her to take some out of the freezer. When I got home she had pulled 2 t-bones and 2 NY strips out of the freezer. i had forgotten how big these things were! Could have probably gotten away with one of each but they were partially thawed and was afraid to refreeze them.
So hit them with a little SPOG and let them rest in the fridge.
prepped up the kettle and got them on with a chunk of maple.
C11C2B08-EE19-4295-8D8D-0E8C6A3150E1.jpeg
Got them to a good IT, Med rare for the t-bones and Med well for the NY strips. Pulled to rest while I took a spin on a mushroom sauce.
Mushrooms doing a little sauté in my favorite CI.
2C86121C-B53C-4C28-80F0-84ED64523674.jpeg
added a 1/2 cup chicken stock, 1 cup heavy cream, Wooster sauce, and Dijon mustard once they had cooked down. While that was reducing I pulled one of the t-bones onto a plate.
5931886D-D1C9-4B65-87D1-F97D8705211C.jpeg
look at the size of this thing!
B406B152-6F49-49F3-8F24-EC0E31617A1C.jpeg
Perfect for me!
And a plated shot.
64E91559-5E07-4B53-A873-29BCA83C86CD.jpeg
Need to work on my sauce a little. Just had a salad to compliment this great cut of meat. Let me tell you my cooking skills did not do this meat justice! It was so tender it cut with a butter knife.
Robert thank you again for a great exchange!
Jim

Wow Jim, that is an amazing looking meal!! You did those steaks justice my friend. Excellent job. A point of clarification though. Those steaks are actually porterhouses, the granddaddy of steaks, as opposed to t-bones. They both come from the same primal cut but there is a differentiating factor between the two. To be classified as a porterhouse it must have a minimum of 1 1/4" of meat on the filet side. If it has less than that, it's a t-bone.....not that there's a thing in the world wrong with a t-bone :emoji_wink: I specifically chose those two steaks to ensure you got the best of both worlds: the filet and the NY strip. Fortunately the shortloin roasts I get which those are cut from typically offer more of the porterhouses than t-bones unlike most American beef. That is just an added bonus to the CPB which is great for us because Tracy LOVES the filet side and I'm thrilled with the NY strip side.

Awe inspiring meal!!
Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks for the clarification Robert! Of course I had leftovers. Only working 4 hours this morning. So, I'm thinking steak and eggs when I get home. And with the quality of this meat it even makes a novice look good.
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification Robert

No problem buddy. I got the clarification from Joe at CPB when I mistakenly posted a porterhouse thread and called it a t-bone.

So, I'm thinking steak and eggs when I get home.

That sounds good!! We had pizza last night but I'm kinda thinking leftover pizza and eggs might not be the best breakfast combo for us :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky