Starting a UDS build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimbo431

Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Southern Alberta
Hello all,

I haven't posted in a while but I have been roaming quite a bit.  I just finished my 2nd RF tank smoker.  I am now going to attempt a pair of 30Gal and 55 Gal UDS builds.  For the 30 I will be using 15w-40 oil drum and for the 55Gal a Kerosene drum.  Neither have a liner but will need a good

burn and wash to clean.  I will post pics of the build as I go if I can.  Here is the new completed RF

First night. Lids off and vent holes drilled. I'll be pressure washing them out at work tomorrow. Then some more prefab and on to the burn out. Any thoughts on peak temp or what type of fire. I have access to hardwood pallets? Would they get hot enough

Last edited:
Still waiting on a calm day to do my burnouts. Does anyone think 14" diameter by 10" high is to small for a charcoal basket for an all night burn in the 55 gal

I'd have to measure the store bought basket that I put in my uds, but it burns well over 12 hours at 225°-250°. . So in this picture that is a 12" AMNTS tube in the basket (was cold smoking cheese). SO my basket is about 10" tall and around 9" across. I put bolts through the bottom to raise it up 3". I am going to weld a pizza pan to the bolts for easy ash collection. I wanted to make sure that the basket was going to work first as I thought it might be on the small size. No worries there. My last smoke was high temp, 325° and I got 8+ hours at that temp.

I'd have to measure the store bought basket that I put in my uds, but it burns well over 12 hours at 225°-250°. . So in this picture that is a 12" AMNTS tube in the basket (was cold smoking cheese). SO my basket is about 10" tall and around 9" across. I put bolts through the bottom to raise it up 3". I am going to weld a pizza pan to the bolts for easy ash collection. I wanted to make sure that the basket was going to work first as I thought it might be on the small size. No worries there. My last smoke was high temp, 325° and I got 8+ hours at that temp.

Case did the rust in the bottom happen after you had it sand blasted?   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky