Started Stumps style today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey coz What insulation are ya gonna use for the walls and doors? what are the other site you have mentioned you are following Thanks

MadMaxx,I will be using Mineral Wool or Rock wool for insulation.I wanted to find the sheets but all I found locally was loose or the type you would blow in.The site I refer to is
http://www.phpbbserver.com/phpbb/ind...orum=smokinjim
There is a wealth of knowledge there on building smokers.Truly a great group as the folks here.I read every post on the site and had 4 pages of notes from there before I started.Be fore warned there is a pile of work in one of these.I have approximately 40 hours in this already and most of the material was scrap price or free.But...in the stuff I did have to by I have spent about $300.I think some of the guys are saying 700-$900 if you had to buy all the material but I think thats pretty high.If you buy an original they start at $1600.For me I just like to build stuff and use it.

OK Coz .... I'll take one ... when can you have it shipped to me? I figure first class mail should cover it ... LOL
Looks real good ... can't wait to see the finished Q.

Squeezy

Squeezy,there are most likely some of these in your area.Most of the folks on the other site are from your side of the border. ididnt get mucch done this week,had a salmon fishing club meeting one nite and just didnt get at it till lunchtime at work today.I did get one of the food grates done today.I will post some more pics before the weekend is done.

Coz..
Really nice looking job...good luck with your project...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
anxious to see the completed unit...
biggrin.gif

Coz,

That looks like it will be a sweet cooker when it is done. You will have to let us know how well it works when you are done. Presently I am using a GOSM vertical smoker. It would be nice to just add the fuel and set the temerature and not have to keep fiddling with the knob to keep the temerature consistant.
Today it is smoking a turkey for our Easter dinner (my wife prefere these to ham).

DD,I am currently using a GOSM but am looking forward to the move to charcoal.My GOSM has served me well but I needed more capacity and had the means to build this monster.If your ever in the Montello area look me up for a first hand look.Also there is a standing offer to members of this board that if they have the desire to Salmon fish that I would try like heck to get a person out.
ab58cb6c_vbattach12238.jpg

Slowly but surely I am gonna finish this thing.A few new pics.
ffd41aa0_vbattach12243.jpg

e68e10da_vbattach12244.jpg

6cd7f82d_vbattach12245.jpg

The smoker is really starting to take shape! It looks great. I sent this thread to a buddy of mine named Rich from Appleton who camps with us in Merrimac. He called me back to say that he knows you. Small world. He also love to salmon fish. Some weekend this summer I will have to take a trip over and see the new cooker.

What gauge sheet metal did you skin the sides with?

Rich is a great guy ands his maple syrup is pretty good too.I havent got to fish with him yet but it will happen somewhere.The skin on my cooker is 14Ga,BUT most are 16Ga.I am going to do a smaller much lighter one for hauling to family events and for the friends who helped me out with machining or donations of parts etc,that one will be 1 1/4 14 ga tubing and 16ga sheeting.When this is all done I am going to compile a list of does and donts of being a cheap sob on this project.I dont think I will have $300 in her when she is done but it is obscenelly overwieght(like me) and by paying to have a few things done instead of hand fabricating a lot of hours would have been saved.

I was thinking of using the 1-1/4 " tube when I build mine. You will have to let me know how it works. The 2" one seems like it would be overkill for me. I haven't quite got smoking perfected where I want to feed a small army. Maybe someday down the road. The biggest concern I have is being able to maintain a constant temp. It would make doing briskets a lot eaiser.

This weekend I am going to try some babybacks with the 3-2-1 method using Jeff's rub recipe. The first time I tried rib they were over cooked due to a bad temperature regulator that has since been replaced.

Wire welder, plasma cutter, torch, complete tin shop, grinders, few common hand tools. What most folks have out in the garage.
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif

Man, you are putting some effort and time into that thing.
The deal is, you get the personal satisfaction and pride of knowing you built it. And it looks fine, professional. Anyone who has not done something like this generally does not fully understand why you do it. My brother and I used to play with race cars, drag racing and 1/2 mile dirt oval, same thing. You built it and get to see it do it's thing.
Can't wait to see it finished and smoking!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Mike,I know the race routine well.My dad ran 4-5 nites a week when I was growing up dirt tracks anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 mile.Back then a man could make a little on it but now its a big money pit.I have also worked on local super late models,A couple years with an ARTGO team I used to love going to Missouri for the western swing.I think Bolivar has to rank among my favorite places to go for a race,Lebanon is nice also.I think some of the folks who dont understand the pleasures of building things youself are the ones paying the shrinks a lot of $$$$$.If my weekend goes well she should be headed for powdercoat early next week.

Bolivar. Wow, been a long time since we raced there. Track is still going.
68 Pontiac Judge, sponsored by Dr. Pepper.
We raced the Fairgrounds Speedway USA in Springfield, Bolivar, Rolla. Rolla was asphalt and really high banked, required some serious changes and ate tires!
Them was the good old days!
Looking at the Stumps website I'd say you are saving a good bit building it yourself.
Get it smokin' and let us see it.

Coz,

What an awesome job you are doing on your cooker. Not since metal shop in the 60's have I seen such beautiful finishing work.
I'm always been jealous of those who master the art of cutting, burning and welding. Thanks for the insight into your journey.

Well for good or bad in the morning she is headed for powder coating.
42e0eb28_vbattach12302.jpg

20838428_vbattach12303.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky