Started off tripping over vet the wrong foot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SKade

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 21, 2019
West Virginia
Rough start this morning. First thing morning started at noon. My wife went to meet a friend for a hike. I’ve got my four year old copilot helping so a late start on getting the grill fired. I should have layer out my rubs and everything last night to be ready. Loading the charcoal in the hoppers my Masterbuilt 560 I forgot to layer some wood in with it. Kid running around trying to get me to do a million things as my hands are covered in rub and rib juice. I stepped back calmed down and pulled my head out of my own ass. I have two racks of spareribs going for a birthday tomorrow. I’m going to do a modified 321. Going to do 3 unwrapped. Two and a half or so wrapped and then just leave them wrapped until I sauce and reheat tomorrow. Dose this seem like a sound method? I’m also trying my first chuck. I’m using Bearcarvers method. I didn’t rub and let it sit over night . I just read his post this morning. (Did I mention unprepared?) I seasoned with spg. I’m sorry about all the complaining at the beginning. Any day you have a lot of good food going on the grill can’t be that bad.
00BCB701-2750-4FC6-926A-B5517F90A670.jpeg
B281ABEC-6705-4E24-B9A5-C8851100734B.jpeg
86C04C5E-7FE4-48C2-BD3E-13B0F88AE3DD.jpeg

Sounds like you gathered you thoughts and came up with a plan . Sounds like a good idea and I'm others with more experience will join in shortly to help.

Sounds like you gathered you thoughts and came up with a plan . Sounds like a good idea and I'm others with more experience will join in shortly to help.
Thanks. I don’t know why I let myself get so flustered. A friend and I are homeschooling four kids between the two of us and I think my nerves have just had it. A change in my smoking ritual just bent me all out of sorts. I have to remember it’s just fire and food. My little guy even helped me spray down the food. It’s turned into good times.
9F67F256-EF06-459F-BF94-B0D7F7DC043F.jpeg

You may want to bring the wrapped ribs up to 140*F, then unwrap to get a little more bark.

As for the chuckle, the best advice I can give is do not be afraid/avert to wrapping. I like simply wrapping the roast itself vs. in a pan with some liquid.

You may want to bring the wrapped ribs up to 140*F, then unwrap to get a little more bark.

As for the chuckle, the best advice I can give is do not be afraid/avert to wrapping. I like simply wrapping the roast itself vs. in a pan with some liquid.
Thanks. I’m about to wrap the roast right now. Double up in foil with a little liquid.

Reactions: Hamdrew
I'd sit down, have a beer or two and enjoy the smoke and time with the little helper! Enjoy these times...they don't last long! Mine are 29 and 21, seems like just the other day they were little!

Oh and smoking food is part of home ec right? Looks like little guy should get an A!

Ryan

I'd sit down, have a beer or two and enjoy the smoke and time with the little helper! Enjoy these times...they don't last long! Mine are 29 and 21, seems like just the other day they were little!

Oh and smoking food is part of home ec right? Looks like little guy should get an A!

Ryan
He definitely gets an A. I do love and cherish this time with him. He has already grown up so much and he’s only 4. The time with him is great and he is honestly what gets me out of bed and keeps me going. When he was three months old I had some major health issues. I wouldn’t have had the strength to still fight if it wasn’t for him. After this last year I would just love to have ten minutes to myself and then have a conversation with another adult for an hour. After that I’m right back to playing superheroes and villains with him and loving the stories he comes up with.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
We’ve all had them days, but as Brokenhandle Brokenhandle said... cherish these days... cause ya blink and they will be grown up! Looks like a great cook you both put together!

Reactions: SKade
BTW, love he is helping.... maybe a future Pitmaster.... one day try some ribs unwrapped! Not saying wrapping is bad as I have done that as well... just gives another option!

All Looking Good, Skade!!!
Like was already said, Enjoy that Little Guy---They don't stay that way long!!
Mine is 6' 4". @ 49 years of Age.
Be Back to see the final Pics!

Bear

BTW, love he is helping.... maybe a future Pitmaster.... one day try some ribs unwrapped! Not saying wrapping is bad as I have done that as well... just gives another option!
I’m working on making him a chef. I always try to engage him but never push to much. Today is the first time he took a break from playing to help me add wood and spritz. He’s coming around. Honestly I never wrap my ribs. I like them with a little tooth to them. Not a lot but enough to let you know your chewing meat. I just did this to try something a little different and play to the crowd some. Normally I’m a no wrap guy and even more controversial I don’t remove the membrane. I just score it. I love that there are so many ways to cook the same food and everyone shares their method. I view cooking kind of like jazz. Listen to those more experienced, use the backbone that’s there but make your own rifts on it. My first time I usually look to fallow someone’s lead. Then I’m off trying my own twists and crazy ideas.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
You may have a lot of liquid in the wrapped ribs, not sure you want to just let them sit in that o/n.
That’s true. I was thinking the liquid would help with reheating but it’s probably going to be too much and ruin any texture. They should have no problem with moisture.

We’ve all had them days, but as Brokenhandle Brokenhandle said... cherish these days... cause ya blink and they will be grown up! Looks like a great cook you both put together!
Thanks. I do cherish the time. It’s just reinforced the fact that I need to step back and enjoy rather than stress as much. He’s a great kid and life could be much worse than having to hunt for a rub.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
All Looking Good, Skade!!!
Like was already said, Enjoy that Little Guy---They don't stay that way long!!
Mine is 6' 4". @ 49 years of Age.
Be Back to see the final Pics!

Bear
Thanks. I love him. He’s been a great kid and likes to help. I’m hopeful I can keep him a caring helpful sweet person. He’s my number one guy. Sometimes he can try the patients but he keeps me grounded.

Ryan

That is fine sage advice right there! We had a party for my son's birthday (granted very belated). Every time I went out to check the grill he had to come. As a few other people here have the me, enjoy and cherish these years. Hope he never grows out of enjoying the time with you. I pray my son doesn't stop.

2.5 wrapped is going to turn them into mush. If you like pulled rib sandwiches you're golden.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
I quit wrapping all together after serving pulled rib sandwiches to people expecting ribs. I went against my way of thinking on Mothers day and guess what Mom got boneless ribs once again. I hate wrapping anything BBQ most things don't need it in my opinion. All I wrap now is brisket and leg of lamb when I'm in a hurry. Everything else just rides it out with a few squirts or a mop full of H2o, vinegar, lemon, a glug or two of grapeseed oil, white pepper some garlic powder and some fresh herbs. My Que just works better for me that way because there is no guessing when enough time wrapped is enough. The 3-2-1 and the 2.5-1-1.5 for baby back method are both foul'd in my opinion the ribs are nearly always too soft for my liking but 6 to one and 1/2 dozen to another as Gramp's used to say.:emoji_thumbsup:

2.5 wrapped is going to turn them into mush. If you like pulled rib sandwiches you're golden.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
I quit wrapping all together after serving pulled rib sandwiches to people expecting ribs. I went against my way of thinking on Mothers day and guess what Mom got boneless ribs once again. I hate wrapping anything BBQ most things don't need it in my opinion. All I wrap now is brisket and leg of lamb when I'm in a hurry. Everything else just rides it out with a few squirts or a mop full of H2o, vinegar, lemon, a glug or two of grapeseed oil, white pepper some garlic powder and some fresh herbs. My Que just works better for me that way because there is no guessing when enough time wrapped is enough. The 3-2-1 and the 2.5-1-1.5 for baby back method are both foul'd in my opinion the ribs are nearly always too soft for my liking but 6 to one and 1/2 dozen to another as Gramp's used to say.:emoji_thumbsup:
They turned out pretty good. I normally do my ribs unwrapped but wanted to give something else a try. I was also cooking for a child’s birthday party for a bunch of kids 2-4. I figured extra tender might be good for the little ones. It’s definitely not how I’ll make ribs for myself but it played well for the crowd.

Reactions: forktender
The final shots. Everything turned out well. The ribs weren’t how I like them but the kids at the party loved them and the parents were fans as well. The beef tastes great. I’m a huge fan of it. My wife still probably likes a pot roast more but we will see. Maybe I can win her over.
58095057-343A-4DA5-80F5-F666B875E063.jpeg
7BF03595-1C52-4F43-AD5C-49D3AFCE1FD0.jpeg

And one of the beef as I started pulling.
B9B683C6-F529-4408-A3E6-14206089F722.jpeg

Attachments

• 410CF903-AC86-41D8-855A-DE0E8916625C.jpeg
    410CF903-AC86-41D8-855A-DE0E8916625C.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky