Started my New Smoker Today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Debi stainless steel handicapped rails make good handles. They have them in all diffrent lenghts at home depot of lowes. They look good on the door and best of all they dont get hot so you wont burn your hand when you raise the door. Thats the kind of handles I have on the old general and have never had one get hot to the touch. Just my one dollars worth LOL

Debi, If you are looking for the handles that are shaped like a spring, you can go to a discount tool store like Harbor Freight, and get a slag hammer and just cut the head off. They make great handles and don't get hot at all.
If you let me know the measurement for your grate, I'll send you a piece for the cost of shipping. I think I could cover it in cardboard and use packing tape for the sides and ends and ship it pretty cheap, because it isn't that heavy. PM me or email me if you are interested. You can call too. I can give you my # via email.

Hi Guys -

I do kind of like the handicap rail Idea but I was looking for the handles like they have on a wood stove. I have found the springs but not the handles. The Home Depot people are gonna stat wondering about me ... I walk in, look at everything, play with everything, measure everything and buy nothing! LOL

Tom -

I'm may have to take you up on that offer. I am getting nowhere locally. Did find some places online but the minimums are killers! I'll have to go up my sisters and measure it again to be sure. I was looking at 2 separate grates just for ease of cleaning.

Hey this is turning out to be a forum project!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

A welders chipping makes a great handle for just about all applications. Or in particular , the spring on the handle. For a rotation handle (like maybe a firebox door), just cut the hammer part off, heat the shaft, bend it like you want it, then weld it wherever it belongs. For lifting handles (like for the smoking chamber door), cut the spring away forn the hammer (easy w/ an angle grinder), maybe use 2 or 3 springs, buy a piece of steel rod, slide the springs onto the rod, heat and bend the rod into shape, then weld it in place. If you make the handle to where it stands 5-6" away from the smoker, it shouldn't ever get so hot that you need a glove to use it.

Just my two cents, it's worked on a few rigs that I've built.

Tim

Thanks Guys. I checked the Harbor Frieght those hammers are perfect! I orderd 5 of them and a cute little cast iron piggy to mount on the top of the smoker!

Did I ever tell y'all I just love piggies?

icon_smile.gif

.... stop! you're embarassing me
icon_redface.gif

Sounds like you're gonna be smokin in style pretty soon Debi, we're all with ya

Keep Smokin

I just couldn't resist pointing out the jokes that could be made here.

Keep up the good work. I think I might tackle a double barrell smoker before long.

Yeah Wes Sometimes I don't just walk into em I set myself up too! I have days at work I just don't even try to talk cuz I know it will get turned inside out and upside down and I'll get embarrased!

icon_redface.gif

I saw it , but resisted. I thought it was maybe, well... maybe a bit too obvious. I also thought perhaps someone else would do it for me. Guess I was right.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Tim

Just got a response back from the person on eBay I got my exp metal from. He is putting up more peices in different sizes tonight and said he will have more in other sizes listed for sure. Just do a search for user eureka49.

I have nothign to do with this person otehr than I won an auction he\she had up. I am in no way affiliated with this person, just trying to help out.

OKay okay I know I set myself up for that one AGAIN! LOL

Icebox I did check all the Aces stores here they only have little pieces. I didn't think o check eBay though. My brother-in-law gave me directions to a metal shop a few towns down the road. I'm going to check them out Friday. I'm surprised I couldn't find anything in the yellow pages. I did call a bike / hot rod shop and they might be able to help - they have diamond plate!

I found a local (sort of) metal supplier out in the boonies! The prices are a bit higher than the net but with shipping and convieiance I figure it's close enough. I caught them just as they were closing Friday night so I have to go back Tuesday to make an order.

I'm thinking I might buy some 16 gauge cold rolled steel sheet to run around the inside of the barrel to add an air gap for insulation. I'm wondering if that welding blanket would survive between the layers of steel.

Still no signs of the damned firebox!I'm going to call Lowes tomorrow and ask whats going on. They got paid on the 26th shuld be hearing something by now the ad said 7 to 10 days.

Marvin -

I still don't have the firebox! I never shopped at Lowes before ad his may be the last. grrrrrrrrr I called the store and they said they have nothing to do with internet sales even if I am supposed to pick it up there. Weird or what?

I could have walked to Chargrill by now (wherever they are).

PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

In Tulsa, both Lowes and Academy Sports have them in stock,
icon_idea.gif
but if you've got access to all that fine metal working equipment, why don't you build your own. You could build it bigger (not a bad idea, CG SFBs won't hold 2' logs), you could build it out of heavier metal (5/16 or 3/8 would last a long time). and you could probably end up w/ a better design ( I read about people having to modify their CGs all the time).

Last but not least, you could probably save some $$$, and that's always good.

I would be happy to help you w/ design if you decide to build one. I'm not an expert, but I've built 2 or 3 smokers.
Tim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky