Stainless Steel Drum Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joopster

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Auburn, IN
I acquired these from work. They are 305 stainless. What should I do with them?

uragyryn.jpg

2ypypury.jpg

2u4e9uva.jpg

Getting my tapatalk on!

How big are the weber 18.5 in. grates?

They might work.

Or make your own.

Ok so the 18.5" WSM grates are 17.5"! Perfect!

I will list what I ordered:

(2) Weber 7432 Cooking Grates

(1) Weber 7431 Cooking Grate (For The Charcoal Basket)

(2) 2" River Country Thermometers

(1) 4" Polar Array Dampener

(1) 304 Stainless Pipe Nipple

(1) 304 Stainless Two Way Valve

I think now I will just wait on parts and decide how I want to paint this one up.

Any suggestions?

Ruined a step drill. It's got a 40 dollar hole now that doesn't fit the 3/4 I needed. I will be purchasing hardware to get the valve installed....

Getting my tapatalk on!

y6yhepyq.jpg

I did get my basket done today though. I will post some better pics later on.

Getting my tapatalk on!

5yzy7agu.jpg

2arujy4y.jpg

ze6upute.jpg

That's 14" inches across and 6" deep!

Getting my tapatalk on!

Last edited:
So, how many holes and how big do I need to go?  I have close to a 1 inch hole that now I have to make something work - or by another bit which I am NOT going to do.

I went from 1/2 inch to 3/4 for my riser and ball valve so I didn't have to purchase anything else.  What do I need to do because the 1/2 inch nipple is smaller than the hole I drilled?  Just get a nut and bolt that sucker to the side?

Do I need any hole that should then be capped for higher temps?  Sorry newbie here on the UDS and I want to do it right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky