Stainless smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I heard leaving the bark on fruit woods is good.
Been making progress on the smoker heres where I am now. Doing the pluming on the second runner going up to the cc. It's 3.5 OD with 1/4 wall

I've got a question on the exuast. It's 3.5" hole in the back of smoker and thinking it's a little small. I'm thinking of stepping up to 4" after 10 " - 12" or so and going long with it like 3-3.5'. What do you guys think?smoker is right about 55 to 60 gallons

Last edited:
I tried the calculator and could get them to work. Has everyone lost interest in this build??

Probably more likely too busy.   Just got home and going to bed.

Hopefully I will have time later this week to help

thanks

That would be nice tanks! Mainly worried the exuast my be to small, kinda a lot of work to go 4" now, since the hole is 3.5".

ok Finally have a few mins..  

If it is a bitch to change to larger diameter leave it alone at 3.5" .   

For me you don't need much exhaust length as the fire box is low and will naturally draw.

I would probably cut it at 12-14" above the top of the cook chamber.   Much longer and you may get stall from it cooling too much.

Make an adjustable pipe that slides over it and you can play with the length once it is fired up.

Must be close now, I bet that chicken has headed for the hills....

I had to go back and look at the dimensions of your build. A 3.5" exhaust will be fine in my opinion because you are working with more of a vertical build rather than horizontal draft. I would keep the length to around 6" to 12" tall to minimize any stall as Ahumadora mentioned.

Thanks a lot! What does a stall mean ? What would be stalling?

Like the pipe would be tall long and not wanna go through the pipe anymore and leave the pipe ? Smoke get stuck inside?

ok thanks that's makes sense. Would it pull better if I added a 4" tube right after the 3.5" tube coming out of the cc?

I'm worried the heat will not wanna get out good enough and that I will have to have a tiny fire. It's all stainless and insulated. Got some more work done on the smoker today but can't load pics. I see a lot of guys on here even using 6" stack on similar sized cookers as mine.

The heat/smoke traveling through the pipe to the chamber is a bigger concern to me than the 3.5" exhaust. If your'e concerned with the exhaust size increase it. You can always cut back on it if needed with a damper.

What's the concern with the intake pipes? I do plan on putting a baffle plate over it if that's what you mean. The intake (tubes) are 1/4" thick

Last edited:
When the heat /smoke enters the pipe to travel to the chamber my concern would be it cooling down. If the firebox were attached to the cooker and only a short transition I believe it would work better. The set up you are working with is common in smoke houses but they cook at much lower temps. It may work fine it is just a concern i would have.

Ok thanks. I really don't think that will be a concern. My firebox is fully insulated with insulating 2300 brick and the tubes are 1/4 stainless. Stainless does not dissapate heat well at all. Mild steel steel dissipates about 5.5x's as quick as stainless steel does. I maybe just weld in a 3.5" cookie and place it in the hole and tack it then I'll have a pilot again to use 4" whole saw. And that way I think I'll be able to have a bigger fire that will be easier to keep going for a while. Again thanks a lot for your advise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky