Stainless smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a question about what of mortar to use or adhesive for getting the bricks to stick to the steel? Just want something that will last and not crumble apart over the years thanks. Heard of heat stop but not sure how will it would work. Also seen furnace cement on YouTube but didn't look very strong. Thanks. Btw I changed routes on insulation the door with calcium silicate. It's very light weight. Thanks again. Excited to get this smoker going

So lets see, its 5 chickens wide x 2 chickens high. Seconds on the welding!!
Nice work so far.  I'm digging it.  I have some old Belle Maries that are for buffet serving that could easily be converted to smokers. Uh oh, I think I just incriminated myself for a future project!!!  

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.  

Cheers,

Dan

hinges are at about .005 or less fit. So tight grease was lifting the door. So I smaked it down with my brass hammer and worked the door back and fourth. Took quite a few taps. Would have helped if I beveld the hinge to let grease flow by better. Still have the question about what mortar to use for bricks? Thanks

Haven't dicided how I wanna open the fire air inlet yet but I have couple ideas

Still looking for a answer on the fire brick mortar to use in my fire box or am I in the wrong part of the forum? Can I get some kind of help with this question? Please lol

I use firebricks inside my firebox, but dont bother with mortar.   Just secure them in place with angle or flat bar.

I was planing on lining the inside with 1/8" or 1/16" sheet metal buy want the top once secure. Don't want them banging around while moving the fire box. I know they will be stronger if there one whole. I'm lining the whole thing with brick. The door I'm using calcium silicate and I'll bend up a pics of 1/8" stainless and fit it around my insulator and tack it down in a few spots. Thanks for the input Ahumadora

Hey guys! Haven't bee. Working on the smoker much latley. Been busy with other jobs but I've been on the hunt like no other for good smoking wood. I've got couple cords or maple and about a cord of cherry and couple cords of Apple wood. Took a whole tree that was on CL. The Apple tree was 2' diameter. All on CL for free.
cherry.
maple. Got about 5 loads from here
i pretty much take my saw everywhere with me now ms362.

Ok thanks. I could also just tear the majority off by hand then the. Burn the rest.

Ok thanks. I could also just tear the majority off by hand then the. Burn the rest.
I'd just rip it off and maybe hit it with a Bernzomatic Propane of Mapgas torch.  It should take any of the moss right off so you just get the flavor and aroma of the wood.  

So I've got 2 3.5" tube 1/4" thick for the intake tubes. And thinking about using 3.5" 16 gauge tube for the exuast or does that sound to small of exuast? I could go 3.5" for 1' then step it to 3 3/4 or 4". Any input would be appreciated. I tried the smoker calculator and couldn't get it to work. Any thing wrong with going a little big on the exuast besides I may need bigger fire?have a lot of wood seasoning and need to get back on my smoker lol. Tested some in my outdoor fire pit and it's awesome to cook with. Take about 10 minutes with the weed burner to light the wood but it does eventually get going. I've done 4 cooks so for over direct heat. Using Apple, maple, alder and others. Pics later

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky