St. Louis Style in Ohio!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

majorlee69

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Dayton (Miamisburg) Ohio
Thank you all for teaching me the basics of smokin spares...With your help on the prep work I was able to cut them St. Louis style. My family and friends were very impressed and there wasn't a single piece of meat left. I had to adapt a little due to the weather and I think they could have been more tender but this was a very successfull smoke for me. I had some trouble keeping the temps steady on my home made wood/charcole smoker but I was afraid to use my electric ecb since it tends to stay around 250. ( A little high as I understand it ). So once I wrapped in foil I finnished in the oven at 225, then I ran them across the fire on a grill with sauce. Here ya go..................( One day I'll have great success and hope to find myself worthy of OTBS )

Looks tasty.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Good job!

Oh, and the 250 won't hurt them any, just adjust the cook times a bit.......250 is fine if you find you need to do them that way sometime.

Congrats Majorlee ! I like your homemade smoker. This Ohio weather can be a real B....H to try to plan a good smoke.

Looks yummy majorlee. Next time you're doing some give me a shout and I'll give everyone an unbiased opinon of how good they are!
icon_razz.gif
I'm only about an hour north of you. Between Lima and Findlay.

Great job!

I have always smoked baby backs but I think most guys on here smoke spares. I realize that they are cheaper but I have found them to be very fatty. Do you guys trim them and what is the cutting process once they are finished?? I think I will post about this.
Thanks!

I trimmed alot of the fat away and cut them "St. Louis" style. I learned how to prep them in an earlier post. After they cooked they cut just like BBs, very similar in apperence.

I'm from ohio to when it's colder out use hardwood lump charcoal , it will help you hold your heat alot better . You can get it about anywhere lowes , menards , and I think walmart has it to.
I haven't tried trimming spares into saint loius style but I would like to learn the best way. I love saint louis style

crewcab4x4

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky