St Louis Ribs today (I hope!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A good practice, which wil l always leave you with good ribs is ti start small and add more as you zero in on what you want. Its easy to add.more, very difficult to take away.

Reactions: SherryT
Ribs look stellar! Kroger running SL ribs on sale this week $1.50/lb... Running some!

For ribs I REALLY like Jeffs but sub chili powder for paprika and no cayenne. Pretty close to perfect for me.

Do not overlook the complete SmokinAl SmokinAl method. Grilling after smoking is a must on ribs.

They're done!

View attachment 654912

View attachment 654913

View attachment 654914

Into the smoker at about 2:30PM at 275...change of plan at 2 hours, sauced but didn't wrap, done at about 6:30PM to 198IT in the tickest part of the rack.

They're tender, but not FOTB (except for ONE right in the MIDDLE of the thickest part!) and they're moist.

The rub is good, but too salty and a little too spicy for me, so I need to do some tweaking (oh the eternal quest for the perfect rub!). I also think I used too MUCH rub, but none of that has anything to do with the cook or the meat itself.

All in all, I'd call this first attempt a success. Next time, I'm gonna try Al's method.
Great work!!!

Ribs are probably the easiest BBQ meat to oversalt, it's a thing with them. It is a best practice to ALWAYS Salt separately and not to go too wild with it. I will not ever use a premixed rub/seasoning for ribs if it has salt in it because you almost always get too much salt to get the additional flavors wanted.

For a rub/seasoning a simple one of Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika will do wonders!

I take my ribs to 198F myself. I like them more that tender vs 195F, just a personal preference thing.

Finally, feel free to do a rack with your wrap method as well as one that you don't wrap and see the difference in flavor. I'm an unwrapped the whole way guy 100%.

You'll get this dialed in for sure and enjoy lots of good ribs as you dial it in :)

Thank you all!

Question...how much rub is "too much" rub? I put a pretty thick coating on them and it seemed to be a bit...much!
I think the right amount is what likes to naturally stick on the meat (plus a hair more) when you pull it out of the pack and it is wet from it's own juices.

(catching all these posts out of order so replying as I see them lol)

Great work!!!

Ribs are probably the easiest BBQ meat to oversalt, it's a thing with them. It is a best practice to ALWAYS Salt separately and not to go too wild with it. I will not ever use a premixed rub/seasoning for ribs if it has salt in it because you almost always get too much salt to get the additional flavors wanted.

For a rub/seasoning a simple one of Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika will do wonders!

I take my ribs to 198F myself. I like them more that tender vs 195F, just a personal preference thing.

Finally, feel free to do a rack with your wrap method as well as one that you don't wrap and see the difference in flavor. I'm an unwrapped the whole way guy 100%.

You'll get this dialed in for sure and enjoy lots of good ribs as you dial it in :)

I was just looking at a rub recipe (meathead Memphis rub) and noticed there was no salt in the rub. He suggests to salt the meat and leave it out of the rub...I think I'll try that next time.

It could also just "be me"...I've noticed as I've gotten older that I have FAR less tolerance to salt than I used to (except in something I "expect" to be salty like chips).

I was just looking at a rub recipe (meathead Memphis rub) and noticed there was no salt in the rub. He suggests to salt the meat and leave it out of the rub...I think I'll try that next time.

It could also just "be me"...I've noticed as I've gotten older that I have FAR less tolerance to salt than I used to (except in something I "expect" to be salty like chips).
Yeah it's a total thing with ribs for sure :D

I have big 1 pound shakers filled with mixes of SPOG, SPOG+Paprika, and one smaller shaker with POG+Paprika (no salt) so I can salt separately.

The no salt one is basically for ribs or any thin meat (chicken cutlets) that I want to have tight control over the amount of salt I apply.

These 2 mixes of seasonings are basically all I use and are great fundamental base flavor profiles to expand on. The flavor is sooooooooo good and its easy to pull out an extra seasoning or two if I ever need to add more/different flavor profiles, but this is a rare situation.

Agreed.....Vac seal and freeze half a slab or so. Still be great when you reheat them.

Jim
Yep, thats what I ate yesterday. Vac sealed smoked spare ribs from my last rib smoked. I smoked 2 racks st louis and 2 racks baby back. Ate on them all week till it was time to vac seal them while they still had freshness to them. Ate like a day hadn't passed by :D

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky