St Louis Ribs today (I hope!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Oddly enough, I've never smoked ribs. I've boiled them, baked them, and grilled them, but never smoked them, so today is the day.

Trim.jpg

St-Louis.jpg

Rubbed.jpg

Found a rub recipe that sounded interesting (with no chile powder...don't care for that flavor in a rub), coated with half/half mustard/mayo, applied rub, and it's in the fridge now.

As I'm not aiming for FOTB (tender, yes, but not THAT tender!), I'll smoke in my gasser at 275/2 hrs un-wrapped, remove, add the goodies, wrap, 275/2hrs, remove/un-wrap, sauce, back in the smoker un-wrapped at 275 "until"...

I'm gonna use the trimmings to make a batch of broth this time (read as "I'm not quite sure what to do with them yet!") :emoji_wink:

See ya when it's done!

That looks great, I have cooked many of those cuts, it's a nice rib. The breast plate, I usually put that in the oven with just S&P at about 350* until most of the fat has rendered and it's nice and brown. There are lots of little cartilage bits to work around but the results are always yummy.

Keep us posted, I'm along for the ride.

Cheers

Keep us posted girl!! Wanna see the smoker....as well as your new acquisition....in action. ribs be good and I bet yours will be excellent.

Robert

Reactions: SherryT
Hope I'm in time...

wrap, 275/2hrs,

This will make them very falling off the bone... Will not even slice... I would check them after 1 hr wrapped... if not quite there yet.. go anothehr 20 minutes and check again...

SmokinAl SmokinAl 's way is the way I go nowadays... Nekkid until an IT of 195` for a clean bite wit a very little tug...

Reactions: tallbm and SmokinAl
Hope I'm in time...

This will make them very falling off the bone... Will not even slice... I would check them after 1 hr wrapped... if not quite there yet.. go anothehr 20 minutes and check again...

SmokinAl SmokinAl 's way is the way I go nowadays... Nekkid until an IT of 195` for a clean bite wit a very little tug...
Will do!

Thanks for the tip!

Hope I'm in time...

Yep Al's way is superior to all other.

I also don't wrap, the flavor is too good when not wrapped to go and do any kind of wrapping, in my opinion.

Ya'll aren't late...still have 8 minutes to go before wrapping.

Got delayed...backed my truck up to the wood pile where I tore down the firewood rack yesterday and noticed the left-front tire was slack, so I had to drag out the compressor and air it back up, then BIL showed up about half-way through THAT to see why I called him, then...well, you know!

I'll add this though...I think I've FINALLY figured out how to "manage" my gasser! Temp's been holding "almost" steady at 275 the whole time (+/- 5deg or so), so YAY! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: JLeonard
OK...change in plans.

IT in the thickest part of the meat between the bones is 178...sauced them, put them back in without wrapping and will check on them every 30 minutes till IT is about 198.

I sure hope I didn't screw this up because they smell AMAZING!!!

Reactions: JLeonard
They're done!

RIBS-Done.jpg

RIBS-Cut.jpg

RIBS-Bit.jpg

Into the smoker at about 2:30PM at 275...change of plan at 2 hours, sauced but didn't wrap, done at about 6:30PM to 198IT in the tickest part of the rack.

They're tender, but not FOTB (except for ONE right in the MIDDLE of the thickest part!) and they're moist.

The rub is good, but too salty and a little too spicy for me, so I need to do some tweaking (oh the eternal quest for the perfect rub!). I also think I used too MUCH rub, but none of that has anything to do with the cook or the meat itself.

All in all, I'd call this first attempt a success. Next time, I'm gonna try Al's method.

Great job on those ribs! Al's method is a great one to follow! We like our ribs with some bite, not fall off the bone. But lately...just go hot and fast...no wrap. Oh, those other pieces...Chef snacks! Or good in beans and such!

Ryan

Great job on those ribs! Al's method is a great one to follow! We like our ribs with some bite, not fall off the bone. But lately...just go hot and fast...no wrap. Oh, those other pieces...Chef snacks! Or good in beans and such!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan!

Just make a mental note for yourself and on the next rack use way less, if that's what tastes good to you then that's the way to do it. no rules to follow how everyone else does it.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Think it's a personal preference as well...but if you like the rub just go easy on it. Still want the meat to shine through no matter what you're smoking.

Here's a rack done on my pellet smoker, no wrap. Had to have a sample...couldn't believe how juicy it was.

20220403_211300.jpg

So good!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky