St. Louis ribs in an aluminum pan. Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
DC Metro - Northern Virginia
Has anyone cooks ribs using an aluminum pan and bamboo skewers as a make shift rack? Instead of laying the ribs flat, standing them on their ends and supports them with skewers.

I figure I can get 6-8 slabs per pan with a little room between each slab. I only have 2 racks and wanted to use the pans to maximize the space in my cooking chamber. Going to cook 100lbs of St. Louis ribs this weekend on my 120 gallon reverse flow and figured this would maximize space. Comments/suggestions?

The skewers would work of course but you can get rib racks pretty cheap that would deliver superior results (well maybe not for 100 pounds of ribs.  Be sure to soak the skewers in water before you put them in the ribs and on the smoker.

I don't know that you would need the aluminum pans, that would only take up more room.

Good luck

Like I said, the skewers will work.  Just snake the ribs on there - kind of an "S" shape, this will give them some stability when you stand them up on the side.  I've done it twice but I got the idea from the Food Network...can't exactly remember who, but I think it was Bobby Flay.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky