!st attempt at cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjoff

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Elk Grove CA
I just put in two large blocks of cheese.  1 is Pepper Jack and the other is Medium Cheddar.  Using the AMNS with cherry.

Plan on leaving in for 4 hours and then into FoodSaver bags for and fridge for 2 weeks.  I hope I can wait that long.

Are you working with more than one lit row? If so, 4 hours may be a bit too much. In my testing, I have found that if the cheese is not smokey enough, I can double smoke it.But,usually I smoke cheese for the length of two lit rows. And yes, it is hard to wait for the goodies. It's all good my friend.

I filled  2 1/2 row of the AMNS and only lit one end.  Do you you still think 4 hrs may be too much?

One lit row may be ok for 4 hours. Sometimes, you just have to make adjustments as you go. It's all good my friend.

worthless.gif
sorry had to do it

I think alot of it comes down to your personal taste. Some people like it with more smoke than others. I do like a lot of smoke. I've lit my amns on both end and in the middle. Some of my friends like the smokey flavor and some don't care for it. I think the amount of heat in your smoker has a lot to do with how much smoke you cheese will take. Say if your smoker is 75 degrees the cheese will take on more flavor than if it were colder at around 50 degrees. You need to see how much smoke you like on your cheese. It all personal taste. It may take a few batches to see how much you like. Good Luck.

I don't like to "Burp Smoke", so wienie boy here smokes for about 2 1/2 hours.

I've noticed if the cheese is just beginning to sweat, it tends to take on more smoke

Rich is right, try it with less smoke, and you can always smoke it again.  It's all your personal preference.

Pics Please?!?!?!

Todd

What did you finally decide to do - Looking for some qview

I just put in two large blocks of cheese.  1 is Pepper Jack and the other is Medium Cheddar.  Using the AMNS with cherry.

Plan on leaving in for 4 hours and then into FoodSaver bags for and fridge for 2 weeks.  I hope I can wait that long.
How large a block?  I cut the 2-3 pound blocks that I buy in two pieces so that there is more area for the smoke to cling. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky