SS fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crclass

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 28, 2014
LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I just made 10 pounds of SS using 50% venison and 50% ground beef that was 80/20. After I mixed the two together I ran them through the grinder using the small die. I then added the seasoning, cure, encapsulated citric acid. I stuffed it into 1 lb casings and refrigerated overnight. After about a 10 hour smoke to get it up to 160 for the ECA, I chilled it in ice water and then let bloom for about an hour. It taste overly salty and the texture is very fine. My question is should I not use cure and ECA together. Is that what I taste is too much sodium? The cure was in the seasoning packs so I'm sure it was the right amount. I was very carefull in measuring the ECA as I had never used it before. I did add 4 TBS of garlic to the SS seasoning and used beer in place of water. Any thoughts?

the citric acid should only give it the "tang" and not be salty at all. A really fine grind on the meat results in more surface area and I am just guessing here that maybe the salt had more area to flavor. Was the finished product crumbly??  What seasoning did you use? Maybe you should try a different brand. I use one from Sausage Maker or just use the recipe out of Rytek Kutas sausage book. Some other members will be responding too I am sure. Nepas where are you, let's help this fellow figure this out.

HT

Last edited:

I just made 10 pounds of SS using 50% venison and 50% ground beef that was 80/20. After I mixed the two together I ran them through the grinder using the small die. I then added the seasoning, cure, encapsulated citric acid. I stuffed it into 1 lb casings and refrigerated overnight. After about a 10 hour smoke to get it up to 160 for the ECA, I chilled it in ice water and then let bloom for about an hour. It taste overly salty and the texture is very fine. My question is should I not use cure and ECA together. Is that what I taste is too much sodium? The cure was in the seasoning packs so I'm sure it was the right amount. I was very carefull in measuring the ECA as I had never used it before. I did add 4 TBS of garlic to the SS seasoning and used beer in place of water. Any thoughts?
Running the ground meat thru the fine plate will make the final product with a smooth texture like bologna. Use of ECA is good with the cure. Normally ECA is added right before stuffing and smoking, Putting the chubs in the fridge with the added ECA could have ruptured the outer gel and the ECA started to work, the CA came out early. The addition of garlic and beer should have not been a factor unless you used pre diced garlic from a container which contains phosphoric acid in which could react with the ECA

Did the meat turn white and mushy?

Last edited:
When adding ECA it should be added right before cooking. The stuffing and overnight rest/cure is your culprit. The eca dissolved.

Running the ground meat thru the fine plate will make the final product with a smooth texture like bologna. Use of ECA is good with the cure. Normally ECA is added right before stuffing and smoking, Putting the chubs in the fridge with the added ECA could have ruptured the outer gel and the ECA started to work, the CA came out early. The addition of garlic and beer should have not been a factor unless you used pre diced garlic from a container which contains phosphoric acid in which could react with the ECA

Did the meat turn white and mushy?

When adding ECA it should be added right before cooking. The stuffing and overnight rest/cure is your culprit. The eca dissolved.
Just to clarify you two are both responding about the texture of the meat due to the ECA being added too early. This combined with using the small plate caused the texture correct?

The OP was also concerned that the sausage was overly salty. The ECA shouldn't have affected that, correct?

As Hoity Mentioned ECA shouldn't have affected the saltiness of the product. It would have to be the seasonings used, or if it was pre-packed minced garlic like pictured that could also be the culprit as sodium is added.

No

ECA would not make it over salted. this could have been the SS mix. pre diced garlic (like pictured) should not have a salt content. Dont know about other brands.

Wow, you guys are awesome and very quick to help out. I used a Lem seasoning pack. I have used them before but with out the ECA. The texture did turn out somewhat like bologna. It is not crumbly at all. The salt I tasted maybe wrong my wife thinks it is the bite not salt. Tonight I am making some jerky and for the first time not using a seasoning pack. my own flavorings and some tenderquick cure. It will be a couple weeks before I have a chance to make more SS but I think I will try one of the recipes posted here in a smaller batch than 10 lbs.

Wow, you guys are awesome and very quick to help out. I used a Lem seasoning pack. I have used them before but with out the ECA. The texture did turn out somewhat like bologna. It is not crumbly at all. The salt I tasted maybe wrong my wife thinks it is the bite not salt. Tonight I am making some jerky and for the first time not using a seasoning pack. my own flavorings and some tenderquick cure. It will be a couple weeks before I have a chance to make more SS but I think I will try one of the recipes posted here in a smaller batch than 10 lbs.

Just a heads up, I made some snack sticks a few weeks ago with ECA and didn't cool right away. It had a lot of bite right off the bat. However, I packaged and put in the freezer for a couple weeks. Over time the flavors mellowed out. You might be okay if you let them sir for a couple weeks.

From my experience when ECA or citric acid is not used properly or used in the wrong proportions it can give you a false sense of too much salt. I use citric acid  a lot and have to be very careful with it.

Boykjo

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky