squeezing your meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
the last couple times i made beef jerky at home in a nesco dehydrator, i used the alton brown recipe. it ends up being a lot of excess marinade. when i pull the beef slices out of the marinade, i end up squeezing the pieces to extract the excess marinade out. most, if not all, recipes for jerky say to "pat dry" after the marinade.

i may be over thinking this, but does anyone see any harm or reduction in quality from squeezing versus patting dry after the marinade?

Squeezing won't hurt. A Salad Spinner helps too...JJ

S, I put my brined jerky strips in a colander to drain and then air dry for at least an hour( forms a pellicle) on my trays with newspaper underneath to catch the liquid. No pat, no squeeze needed.

S, I put my brined jerky strips in a colander to drain and then air dry for at least an hour( forms a pellicle) on my trays with newspaper underneath to catch the liquid. No pat, no squeeze needed.
I don't have that much patience. I go with the squeeze method, too.

The last jerky I made I didn't do anything. I just took the strips out of the marinade and on to the dehydrator trays. Made a hell of a mess of my tray sheets and quite a cleanup.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky