squash casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyreb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 4, 2005
SC
fellas i need a squash casserole recipe, i know yall have some great recipes to share

This recipe works with squash, or without (we have it mostly without)

With a summer squash, slice the ends off, then I slice down into it with the 7" blade, in essence cutting off all the "skin" from the inside out.

Now you have what looks like a "pineapple without the skin" for lack of a better term. Now do the same thing with the stringy "core"

Now its ready for slicing. Slice in like 1/4 to 1/8th inch "rings".

Greased casseroledish (butter), sliced same thickness sweet potato, and a slightly thicker sliced apple.

Building time.

Lay down a layer of squash, then sweet potato, then apple. Slivers of butter all over, then brown sugar. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

350*, maybe an hour or so, covered with foil, and you should be good to go

I like to do a dish with Speghettie Squash. Cook the squash per directions on lable. Flesh will be stringy like cooked speghettie. While squash is cooking brown so hb or sausage, add an onion and some bell pepper (you can throw in a mushroom if your a fungus fan). Add some speghettie sauce to the meat mixture. In a large baking dish or dutch oven combine the squash with the meat sauce and add some grated parm and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10-15 min at 350 or till cheese is just browning and melted. This is the one that I make most often as it's the only squash that Ben will eat. For a nice presentation you can bake it in the hollowed out squash shells.

My squash casserole is simple.

1. Blanch, steam or cook yellow squash. Drain thoroughly. Try to squeeze out most of the water.

2. Crush some Ritz crackers. How much depends on the amount of squash you have. I just eyeball the amount and mix until it tastes right. Mix in a little melted butter. You can also add some onion at this point if you like. **edit** I forgot to add this. I add one beaten egg also.

3. Put mixture in a casserole pan and top with shredded sharp cheddar. Bake at 350* until cheese is bubbly.

Sorry there are no exact measurements, but it's easy enough to get it to your taste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky