Spreadsheets for Curing Meat, Science

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Should the same ratios be used for curing fish, such as cold smoked salmon?
Meaning the ratios of fish : salt : Cure #1

webmanoffesto,

JCinGB has already got you covered with his Python calculator.
But if you're a spreadsheet guy, here is another calculator to throw into the mix.
It’s a version of the one I built for my own use; but cleaned up a bit.

The excel file allows users to select between different input units, and to select between %-pickup, equilibrium, or dry curing calculations. I hope it’s self-explanatory.
Let me know if you find any errors.

Last edited:
Hi Parson,

I removed that version.
It’s a work in progress, as I continue modifying it for my own utility.
Here is an updated file. Let me know how it works for you.

Attachments

• curecalc190516.xlsx
    97.1 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks PolishD for that update.

I love to explore the math and science behind food prep. What a great forum group to discuss such things. :emoji_cat:

I figured out the flaw in my calculation program. If the meat to water ratio isn't 10:1, the calculation breaks down if you don't match the pick-up %. I think I will change it to tell you how much H2O to use instead of asking what the user has.

Also, I think that I was trying too broadly to interpret the pick-up versus equilibrium curing.

My next iteration of the program will only cover injection brining.

Hi Parson,

I removed that version.
It’s a work in progress, as I continue modifying it for my own utility.
Here is an updated file. Let me know how it works for you.
Hi PolishDeli
Thanks for the updated file, I have downloaded it and will have a look over it.
If I find anything questionable etc. I will let you know, along with how it worked for me.
regards

% pick up doesn't work too well... Different cuts of meat absorb liquid at different %'s....
Equilibrium works well... Physics is pretty much fool proof...
Injection is pretty much absolute... Stuff in = stuff absorbed...

% pick up doesn't work too well... Different cuts of meat absorb liquid at different %'s....
Equilibrium works well... Physics is pretty much fool proof...
Injection is pretty much absolute... Stuff in = stuff absorbed...

Right you are. I have been learning a lot and am very grateful for your sanity checks on this stuff.

JC :emoji_cat:

FWIW, % pick up, in USDA terminology, is the amount that has been injected and stays in the meat....
The commercial processors inject meats with an auto injector... a tub of meat is weighed, then injected, and reweighed... They do that to assure the percentages are correct of the ingredients..
It has nothing to do with meat that has been submerged in a brine solution.... I know some folks interpret "% pick up" incorrectly....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky