SPOKE TO SOON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
When I replied to the Post about Meat shortage, I was WRONG. Most everything is easy to find, Except for Briskets. My go to Store (Super 1) here in East Texas always has a really big selection of Briskets. I decided Last night it was about time for a Brisket. So this morning when I went to my store, the meat case that is usually stocked full, only had a few. WoW, I asked the Butcher if they had more in the back, he said they only got two cases and what was out there was it. He said they couldn't even get Select. And a bunch of the BBQ places in town were making their rounds trying to find them. So I snagged a nice CAB 10+ pounder and called it a day.

Is anyone else in the East Texas area seeing the same thing ?

Gary

Same here in central Michigan. You can get the ultra cheap bag-o-chicken parts somewhat consistently, or 8.00/lb hamburger. But other than that, it's sausages or prefrozen crap

Couldn't even get the cheapest bag of chicken parts at Target in MN today. They had some nice fresh stuff though not a lot of it. Pretty sure the rest of it had been looted already.

Here in the greensboro area of NC we have several small butcher shops and they have had plenty of poultry, pork and beef and there prices have been more than fair

Beef has nearly tripled in price here. That sucks. Not having any issues finding anything I want though.

Ohio is hot and miss. I’ve found burger at Sams one day for $8 and a few days later for $4.39. GFS and Sams have very few nice whole beef cuts. Save a lot has been money the last two weeks for trip tip and chuck $4.99. Burger $8. Lol it’s all over the board. This is the first time I’ve ever even seen tri tip in our area. I bough 6.

I've been grinding all my beef out of briskets . Got 3 at 3.29 a pound last month . Last I looked thet were up to 5 bucks a pound . Still a cheaper , and better option if you have a grinder.

Reactions: sawhorseray
After the initial hoarding was over things have been stocked pretty much back to normal around here for about a month now. Fry's had brisket on sale for $2.49lb so I picked one up for the freezer. It's just the wife and I so I'll most likely end up grinding that brisket for burgers. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
I went to Fry's this morning to pick up some 80/20 for smashburgers on the new Blackstone griddle. I saw the two packs and asked the guy stocking the meat case where the price was, $17.98! I've still got a good supply of my hipshot burgers in the freezer so I passed on that and grabbed a family pack of nice sirloin steaks for $3.99lb, Philly cheesesteaks! Why in the hell would ground burger cost more than twice as much a sirloin steak, something ain't right. Now that brisket I picked up for $2.49lb will definitely be going thru the grinder

Thanks for that John! I've been meaning to get a Basha's card, there's one right down the road. RAY

Went to the store yesterday they wanted $8 a lb for 85/15 on a Styrofoam tray. Hell no. I still have GB in the freezer and will grind briskets before I pay that price. Did score two sirloin tip roasts for $4.79 a lb on manager clearance.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Went to the store yesterday they wanted $8 a lb for 85/15 on a Styrofoam tray. Hell no. I still have GB in the freezer and will grind briskets before I pay that price. Did score two sirloin tip roasts for $4.79 a lb on manager clearance.

Yeah, I just flat don't get it John. Fry's had ribeye steaks for the same price as burger. I'm getting a Basha's card, I want a smashburger! RAY

Yeah, I just flat don't get it John. Fry's had ribeye steaks for the same price as burger
Makes no sense to me either , unless they are being forced to grind better cuts ( not using trim ) to keep up with demand . Even at that 18 bucks is insane . Either way I've already ground 2 briskets , have one left whole / frozen . Plan to do this unless the price gets to crazy .

I just checked prices as of today here in Middle TN. Kroger is $4.67 a lb of 80/20 if you buy a 3 lb pack. Walmart is $3.80 a lb for a 10 lb pack. Aldi's is just shy of $4 a lb. Choice brisket at Kroger is $2.99 a lb, select is $3.99. Time to dig out the grinder for my stand mixer, scales, and the vacuum sealer.

Reactions: chopsaw
I just went to Basha's, got a card, and paid $3.49 lb. Might go back tomorrow and get a little more, not much room left in the freezer. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
our briskets up to about $6/# for prime $5.50/# for choice our pork butt is $.99-$1.49 on sale right now. kinda 1-2 more pound for all cuts of beef but i did find whole tenderloin(beef) for $9.99/# choice Angus. they are limiting the amount of meat you get at the store but the prices are consistent it seems. this is for the outside Charlotte NC area. chicken is reasonable except for wings whole wings were "on sale" for $2.99/# yesterday no thanks i bought legs for $.92/# instead.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky