Spinning Smoked Turkey (sleet day project)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
So last week I'm digging deep in the deep freeze and found a 12 lbs. Turkey we acquired during this last holiday season - Figured that would be my Sleet day smoking project. After thawing this bird out I keep my prep simple since I'm going to rotisserie it. Just gave the bird a quick rinse, dried it off and injected it with Tony's Jalapeños Butter injection, Covered the outside with a nice sugar based rub and into the smoker!

Oh, it's 22° outside while I"m doing this too so I guess I still like playing in the elements :)

How it started ...
tempImagerhYeRh.png

Set the ol' Yoder on 320° with the hopper filled with Apple blend pellets and let the Rotisserie do it's thang!!!!!

2 hrs & 20 min later: How it's going ...
tempImageZ08Voc.png

And for the umpteenth time I've done this - once again, the little "pop it" that tells you when your turkey is done doesn't "pop" by the time I pull the bird. I always pull these when the deep part of the breast meat reaches 160° - Don't trust the pop it (well, at least it will be done - really done!)

tempImage24BKIn.png

Another really good bird. I love using the rotisserie and I highly recommend spinning all birds including turkeys.

Turkey is not just for the Holidays!

Last edited:
Man that's a hell of a good looking turkey. Nice work bud and stay warm. We got hit with ice as well.......bring on spring! Lol

Dang that looks good!
I have a couple of turkeys in the freezer.
I spin chickens all the time, but it has been a while since I have spun a turkey. You may have motivated me!!
Al

Great looking bird! What Yoder has a rotisserie?
Mine does! :emoji_laughing:

Great question and it's not OEM at all. I purchased an entire kit a guy was selling on Ebay. I had to mount a few things and drill a hole for the spit rod but he sent everything I'd need to get rotisserie up and running on a Yoder 640. It's worked exactly as advertised. I love the different element that rotisserie brings to the game. Since I've started spinning birds I don't hardly pre-brine my birds anymore.

Wow Randy. That a fine looking bird. Friends trying to get me out. 903 closed but they going to Green Growler. I playing it safe and staying home. Only takes one patch of ice! Should be good tomorrow it looks like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky