Spinning a butt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 7, 2015
New Orleans LA
I rubbed a 5lb butt with Jeff's rub and I'm going to rotisserie it.
20180909_101920.jpg
On the kettle for a few hours
20180909_103714.jpg
More to come later.
Mike

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Interesting idea. How far are you going to take it? Will "pulled pork" tenderness be an issue on the rotisserie as there is some gravity effects as the meat turns?

Spun it for 3 hrs, added charcoal at the 1.5 hr point. IT was at 200 when I took it off the grill. Now gonna rest until it's pullable.
butt.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Mike

Reactions: SonnyE
Interesting idea. How far are you going to take it? Will "pulled pork" tenderness be an issue on the rotisserie as there is some gravity effects as the meat turns?
I am not sure what to expect Dave. It smells awesome and looks great! I'll post a pic when I tear into it.

Mike

pork platter.jpg

I could have built a competition box...I had some pulled, some sliced and some chunks. Great bark, and the outer meat pulled. The inner muscles didn't pull, but they sliced into nice medalians. The rest was chopped into chunks. All tastes delicious!

Mike

3 hours for a 5lb butt - holy cow that has to be a record. Nice Job all looks good from my screen.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looking good Mike.
Thanks Chile! I appreciate it.

That looks great. Wow, that is a quick cook. Great idea.
Thanks Jeff! It was different. I'm not sure of the cut of pork, it was labeled as a shoulder butt roast, I think it was a picnic ham or something. The bone was not like a shoulder blade.

Mike that looks great what did you use to check the IT ?
Richie
I used a Thermapen and it probed 200-202 in 4 different places. I didn't wrap and rest for an hour like I do butts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky