Spinning A 25# Rib Roast On The Santa Maria (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Finally decided to do that rib roast I Frenched from one of the 103 sub primal rib sections I got from CPB. It had been in the freezer for months and screamed at me every time I opened the freezer. Invited a few close friends that I know have been acting responsibly through the pandemic and the plan was laid. This was not a plated, multi-course meal but a simple meal served with good food buffet style. The roast was delivered at 30 pounds and by the time I trimmed and dressed it, finished weight was right at 25 pounds.

Here are the roasts upon delivery
005.jpg

Rib tips trimmed off and Frenched
04.jpg

This is getting cooked on Saturday so I got it out of the freezer the previous Friday to defrost then on Wednesday (3 days before cooking) I split the roast down the ribs right along the meat leaving about an inch not cut. The whole thing, including inside between the meat and the bones, was dry brined with pink Himalayan sea salt and put back in the fridge. The day before it was to be cooked I got it back out, mixed up a batch of Jeff's Texas rub minus the salt and applied a heavy coat over the entire roast. It was then tied off and back into the fridge till the next day.

Here it is after being seasoned and tied off
IMG_0512.JPG

Next day....time to light a fire!!
IMG_5832.JPG

Make the Au Jus
IMG_5824.JPG

Get the mushrooms ready
IMG_5827.JPG

Make the gravy for the mashed potatoes
IMG_5829.JPG

Get the asparagus ready: lots of butter, shaved pecans, and dried cranberries. This is SOOOO good!!
IMG_5830.JPG

Roast coming along nicely
IMG_5833.JPG

Garlic mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives. Ugly pic. They really aren't yellow
IMG_5837.JPG

Nice and juicy
IMG_5840.JPG

Sliced....well some of it is
IMG_5841.JPG

The whole spread
IMG_5842.JPG

Dinner plated with all the goodies and a nice dollop of horseradish for the prime rib
IMG_5844.JPG

This was a really good meal!! The flavor of the meat from cooking it on the Santa Maria was amazing. My only take away is that cooking it this way you'll never get that perfect edge to edge pink. The heat from the fire is so intense that the outside gets more done than I'd like before the inside gets to the 125* temp. Still in all, the meat had a world class flavor. The asparagus was a huge hit also. I did it like this on a whim back during the holidays and everybody raved about it. Seemed fitting to do it again and was met with the same accolades. Sadly though I had to cut the rib bones off. The roast was just way too big and there wasn't enough room for it to spin. The ribs would have gotten hung up in the firewood. As it was, even after cutting the ribs off there was only about 3" of clearance to the fire. h well, a small price to pay for such a good meal. We have lots of leftover PR that will make for several more meals and some trimmings that will make for a darned good soup or stew. We will eat well of this big ol' chink of meat, that's for sure. This one is a wrap and thanks for dropping in.

Robert

A absolute culinary masterpiece, just perfection on a plate Robert, huge Like! Everything was so well planned and executed, from the beef to the gravy for those mashed taters, and the asparagus really do stand up to that ensemble, nice piece of work! RAY

Start to finish deliciousness Robert!! I’d tear up a ton of that rub roast and the sides are perfect.

As the Nature Boy would say "WOOOOOOO!" Another home run Robert

What type of wood splits used on your Santa Maria? I'm guessing oak?

Looks fabulous! It pays to be one of your responsible friends!

Thanks!! If you've been acting responsibly I'll happily put together a big p[late for you. Got the rest of it sliced, vac sealed, and in the freezer...and there's quite a bit left.

A absolute culinary masterpiece, just perfection on a plate Robert, huge Like!

Thanks so much my friend. I appreciate the kind words.

Looks great Robert! Point!

Thank you Steve!! Now I just need this latest batch of pickles to get ready :emoji_wink:

Robert

Great looking meal.

Thank you. I didn't put any time into presentation as we were ready to eat but it came out looking pretty good.

The shot of it on the cutting board is spectacular. Makes me want some of that.

I almost did not post that pic because of all the mess around the roast....but that's part of what a cook like this is all about so I decided to go for it.

WOW Robert! I am speechless

Thank you Dave!! Speechless is far better than shorting out keyboards as you used to do on a regular basis :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Looks like a incredible dinner Robert!!

Thanks so much Jim. It was good but turned out to be a lot more work than I anticipated going in. Oh well, it was well worth the effort, that's for sure.

Start to finish deliciousness Robert!! I’d tear up a ton of that rub roast and the sides are perfect.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the accolades Jeff, especially after all the amazing meals you showcase here. If you notice there aren't many sides...just the mashed potatoes and asparagus. It was intended to be a simple meal with minimal work and not a bunch of frills and lace.

Hell Yeah!
That looks ridiculously good.
Strong work Robert.

Thanks so much Chile!! Finally got something cooked that was worth posting. Been doing a lot of creative stuff but with so much activity here recently I've just not posted any of them. This one was noteworthy I felt so it got shared.

Robert

As the Nature Boy would say "WOOOOOOO!" Another home run Robert

What type of wood splits used on your Santa Maria? I'm guessing oak?

Appreciate it although I'm not sure exactly who Nature Boy is :emoji_anguished: My go-to wood for the Santa Maria is mesquite but I was out and didn't feel like going into town to get any. This is hickory. Thought about using oak but one time I used it I got a bit of an acrid flavor and didn't want to chance messing this one up so stuck with hickory.

This looks like a tasty meal. Job well done!

It was tasty fir sure and thank you for the kind words.

You can send any leftovers this way...that looks great!

No problem. Send me your address and a blank check that I can fill in the amount for overnight shipping and I'll get it headed your way :emoji_laughing: I even have one of the Styrofoam shipping coolers that CPB uses to ship the stuff to me....and it has your name on it

Robert

Reactions: texomakid
Holy cow Robert, that roast is absolutely gorgeous, and the picture of it spinning over an open fire is just money! I’m sure it tasted twice as good as it looks!

Looks excellent Robert! WOW is all I can say. You definitely did that roast, justice, and then some. Great meal all around.

Vermont has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for travelers coming into our state from states that are considered high risk, and I'd be more then willing to make the trip to Texas and back for a plate of that Rib Roast Robert. Beautiful Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky