Spinnin' a Couple Game Hens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW Ray you sure knocked that one out of the park!
Those hens looked fantastic!
Great color!
I see why you ate every last bite!!
Al

Reactions: sawhorseray
Great looking birds there, Ray! Surely, though, Bob got a taste. That rotisserie is another accessory that I need to get along with a SV and a...

RAY, very nice cook! I just love the open flame cooking and the color of those hens is perfect!

Hey and just cause we live in igloos doesn’t mean we go sans skinny dipping..... LOL..... we just look for steaming lava hot pools!

Whoa Ray!! As others have stated, those birds look amazing. Gorgeous color on those babies. they look as good as any I've ever seen and better than most. Very well executed my friend and I'm happy to see you getting that spinner dialed in. I know you had some issues the first time or two but now turning out some world-class food.

Robert

Great looking birds there Ray.....wait I should say Hens or something as I like Chris got a little scared with

Thought this might be an episode of Naked and Afraid or some silly show like that, lol😱😱

And poor Bob no big steak bone to chew on, :emoji_disappointed:

Real nice colour on those hens, and I think I might try out Jeff's Rub and also hook my spinner back on the Q

David
Thanks David! I really like Jeff's rubs, make them with ingredients found in most pantry's and can be used on darned near everything. You buy them once, have the recipe forever,. Thanks for the like David, I do appreciate it! RAY

WOW Ray you sure knocked that one out of the park!
Those hens looked fantastic!
Great color!
I see why you ate every last bite!!
Al
Thanks Al! I'm finding a lot of satisfaction using all the attachments that have come out in the last couple of years for a Weber kettle, makes life easy, and I do love easy! Thank you for the Like Al, much appreciated. RAY

Great looking birds there, Ray! Surely, though, Bob got a taste. That rotisserie is another accessory that I need to get along with a SV and a...
Thanks Charles! Bob's not accustomed to getting completely stiffed at dinner, might have to make it up to him with a porterhouse bone. Thanks for the like Charles, I appreciate it! RAY
DSCN3960.JPG

Great looking birds.
Jim
Thanks Jim, they tasted as good as they looked, love them little birds! Thanks for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it. RAY

Congrats on the ride Ray.
Right where it should be

David
Thanks David, was a nice surprise to wake up to. Even a blind dog finds a bone every now and then I reckon. RAY

2 beautiful birds on the spinner gets YOU a ride on the spinner 🤣.
Great meal RAY and congrats!

Keith
Thanks Keith! Post a cook and end up in the bright lights, pretty happy this morning! Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

RAY, very nice cook! I just love the open flame cooking and the color of those hens is perfect!

Hey and just cause we live in igloos doesn’t mean we go sans skinny dipping..... LOL..... we just look for steaming lava hot pools!
Thanks Civil! Nobody knows more than you about how the flame kissing the meat works a little magic! Idaho ain't igloo country, might get thru winter in a log cabin with a wood burning stove to cuddle up to :emoji_laughing:. Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Whoa Ray!! As others have stated, those birds look amazing. Gorgeous color on those babies. they look as good as any I've ever seen and better than most. Very well executed my friend and I'm happy to see you getting that spinner dialed in. I know you had some issues the first time or two but now turning out some world-class food.

Robert
Thank you Robert! Yeah, the first couple of efforts were a learning curve for sure if you recall, the spinner was headed for early retirement. I've got one way dialed it, going to get more info on another in just a moment. Thanks for the Like my friend, I do appreciate it! RAY

Congrats on the ride!
Thanks Stu! The pic of the hens you roto'd were my inspiration for not junking the spinner, they were gorgeous! I believe you went with top on using the SnS, heat from just one side. With rain in our forecast that sounds like the way to go. What's the scoop, maybe a dozen coals and a few wood chunks? Inquiring minds need to know amigo! RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
You have without a doubt mastered the spinner Ray! Helluva nice job!
Thanks RV King! With all the modern Weber attachments out even an old dog can learn a few new tricks. Thanks for the Like Steve, and enjoy the great outdoors with your beautiful new home on wheels! RAY

Ordering tonight, nice to give a little back to Jeff TulsaJeff TulsaJeff for this very helpful site

David
Thanks David! You are right, it helps the forum site and rubs are great! I've heard Jeff's Q sauce is pretty darned good too, never tried it, I seem to be stuck on SBR, love the stuff!

Thanks Stu! The pic of the hens you roto'd were my inspiration for not junking the spinner, they were gorgeous! I believe you went with top on using the SnS, heat from just one side. With rain in our forecast that sounds like the way to go. What's the scoop, maybe a dozen coals and a few wood chunks? Inquiring minds need to know amigo! RAY

Ray, thank you and you're welcome, amigo.

Yes, that glazed hen spin was with the top on.
Used the SnS and the water resevoir 3/4's full.
I started things off with 10 -12 briquettes and a fire starter in the corner of the SnS. If I recall correctly, added 20-30 unlit coals and a few chunks of apple.
I do remember needing to add more coals during the cook to maintain temps.

By the looks of your parallel set up and the hickory splits, I'd say you nailed it PERFECTLY!
I loved seeing the flames licking those hickory splits too.

Thanks Stu, exactly what needed to know! Just got a dust storm warning blaring from the phone, back inside for a couple of hours, no outdoor cookin' today! RAY

Thanks Stu, exactly what needed to know! Just got a dust storm warning blaring from the phone, back inside for a couple of hours, no outdoor cookin' today! RAY
You're welcome. I am glad to be able to share.

Bummer. I don't miss those dust storms one bit.
We have some cloud build up down here but nothing looks threatening right now. Maybe later.

Stu

You're welcome. I am glad to be able to share.

Bummer. I don't miss those dust storms one bit.
We have some cloud build up down here but nothing looks threatening right now. Maybe later.

Stu
We've never really had one hit hard here Stu. The strong winds can carry Valley Fever, that's the only real worry, we keep Bob indoors.

Looks Awesome, Ray!!
Cute Little Buzzards!!
Like.

Bear
You bet John, them little critter are downright tasty! Thanks for the Like Bear, much appreciated. RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky