Spinnin' a Couple Game Hens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
About time to spin a couple of little birds! Hit them with a little olive oil so the rub would stick, then gave them a nice coat of Jeff's Original Rub, the stuff is great on anything and everything. On to the weber spinner using a few coals and some oak splits with the baskets. No top on, like to see the flame kiss them little chickens.
DSCN4059.JPG

About an hour in starting to get some color
DSCN4061.JPG

About 15 minutes to go, brushed on a little Rufus
DSCN4066.JPG

DSCN4062.JPG

Ball joint at 157, time to pull! A ten minute rest over the sink while my sides finish up
DSCN4065.JPG

Plated up with some zukes and beans, a little glass of Evan because whisky goes well with everything, even nothing! The bird was juicy and delicious.
DSCN4067.JPG

Turned out to be a three napkin dinner, ate every bite much to the chagrin of Bob
DSCN4068.JPG

Had enough Evan left to waddle out to the pool for a after dinner skinny dip! This one's a wrap and for those that looked in I thank you for your time and patience. Y'all stay safe out there, monkey pox don't look like a joke! RAY

Last edited:
Hens are off the hook Ray! Nice work bud. Cdc says 99% of monkey pox infection is from homosexual men. Leads me to believe you are safe unless you take one for the team. 10k infected in a society of 350 million isn't really a concern to me. Hell of a cook bud

Darn, those sure look good! Well done, Ray.

I thought you might share one of those until I saw the pic with both on your plate. Good thinking!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Hens are off the hook Ray! Nice work bud. Cdc says 99% of monkey pox infection is from homosexual men. Leads me to believe you are safe unless you take one for the team. 10k infected in a society of 350 million isn't really a concern to me. Hell of a cook bud
Thanks Jake, I ain't much worried about it either, never been bent that way. RAY

Beautiful looking chicken!! Question, would you get more smoke flavor with the lid on or doesn't it make any difference?
Thank you! I really couldn't say for sure tho I'm about positive I get cleaner smoke with no top. RAY

Good looking birds, such a nice color.
Thanks Chile! I was pretty darned happy with the color, as I was with the juice running off my chin! Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

Darn, those sure look good! Well done, Ray.

I thought you might share one of those until I saw the pic with both on your plate. Good thinking!

Thanks Mark! That was one bird cut in half, now I don't have to worry about dinner tomorrow, I'll have the same darned thing! RAY

They are beautiful. Nice cook
Thank you Adam! After 46 years I really feel I'm just starting to get the hang of this thing! Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Yes Sir! Ray, those hens are just absolutely beautiful masterpieces. Well done, amigo.

Stu
Thanks Stu! The competition is beginning to heat up here in the desert, I thought they almost looked as good as yours! Thanks for the Like amigo, much appreciated! RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Looks incredible! You definitely have it tuned! Can’t wait to see the prime take a turn!
Thanks Jed! I'll most like spin a little lamb roast next, all out of leftovers for the sous vide pot. I have 3-4 smallish boneless rib roasts in the freezer but I'll need more of a crowd then just me. The boys will be over here a few times once the football season gets real. Thanks for the like Jed, I do appreciate it! RAY

Great job Ray! Birds look beautiful!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! I was very happy with the color and flavor, Jeff's rubs are pretty darned hard to beat, easy to make too! Thanks for the Like Ryan, much appreciated! RAY

Nice Ray! Color looks amazing, would love to sit down for a plate or two of that!
Thanks Clif! Any time you're out my way I'll make it happen, maybe some fancier sides too! Thank you for the Like, I appreciate it! RAY

Last edited:
Fantastic looking birds, Ray. Love that color! I can't remember the last time I cooked up some Cornish hens and I need to change that.

Fantastic looking birds, Ray. Love that color! I can't remember the last time I cooked up some Cornish hens and I need to change that.
Thanks Doug! I hadn't done any in over 20 years until I got the rotisserie attachment for the Weber, now I can't get enough of them, delicious little birds they are! RAY

Beautiful looking birds Ray. You got that spinner dialed in perfectly. I was really enjoying the thread up until the skinny dipping part. Now I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat game hens again. LOL

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris! That's right, I forgot you folks that live in a igloo half the year don't know much about being naked and skinny dippin', probably even wear pajamas to bed! :emoji_laughing: Thanks for the like Chris, I appreciate it! RAY

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
Great looking birds there Ray.....wait I should say Hens or something as I like Chris got a little scared with
waddle out to the pool for a after dinner skinny dip!

Thought this might be an episode of Naked and Afraid or some silly show like that, lol😱😱

And poor Bob no big steak bone to chew on, :emoji_disappointed:

Real nice colour on those hens, and I think I might try out Jeff's Rub and also hook my spinner back on the Q

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky