Spicy Lime Chili Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love jerky. I also love spicy food but it doesn’t love me. The question was, could I make a spicy jerky that walked the tightrope between spicy and pain causing? This is my effort.

The first consideration was what kind of spicy? Different spices, peppers and sauces give different kind of heat. Some smack you in the mouth as soon as you eat them. Others have a slow build of heat.

I decided to go Asian. Asian Chili Garlic sauce is very hot without being dangerous and has a slow build to a warming heat. My jerky would try and emulate that by using small Thai chili peppers as the main source of heat.

I picked up an eye of the round roast. I like it for jerky as it is quite lean and fat is the enemy of jerky. It just doesn’t dry well. Although it is leaner, it does have a fat cap and some silverskin. I removed all of that.

This recipe would also be great with venison, elk or moose.

I sliced the meat to about 3/16 inch (48 mm) thick. I weighed the slices.

Spicy Chili Lime Jerky 01.jpg

Then I prepared the marinade. These amounts are for 1 kg (2.2 pounds) meat.

I took the zest off two limes and then squeezed the juice out. I put the zest and juice in a blender. You could use a food processor or put them in a bowl if you are using an immersion blender.

I cut the stems off Thai chilies and cut them in half until I had a little less than 125 ml (1/2 cup) of chilies. I put these in the blender.

Spicy Chili Lime Jerky 02.jpg

I added the following to the blender:

• 60 ml (1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons) Worcestershire sauce
  • 60 ml (1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons) soy sauce
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
  • 30 ml (2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoons) brown sugar
  • 3.5 grams (2.5 ml or 1/2 teaspoon) Prague powder #1
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) rice vinegar
I blended until well mixed.

I put the meat in a non-reactive container and poured the mixture over the meat. I tossed the meat thoroughly, covered it and put it in the fridge for 24 hours, stirring the meat a couple of times.

Spicy Chili Lime Jerky 03.jpg

I took the meat out of the marinade and spread it around on my smoker racks. I patted both sides dry with paper towel and let them sit for an hour.

I patted both sides dry and let them sit for another hour and patted both sides dry again.

I preheated my smoker to 200 F (90 C).

I put them in my smoker and smoked for 2 hours.

Spicy Chili Lime Jerky 04.jpg

If you don’t have enough rack space in your smoker, you can put a skewer through the end of each piece and hang the pieces through spaces in the rack.

Hi Mountain Bourbon BBQ Jerky 2.jpg

I made sure the jerky was done by bending it. It should crack at the surface but not break in two. You can make absolutely sure by probing with an instant read thermometer. The meat needs to be over 155 F (68 C).

Spicy Chili Lime Jerky 06.jpg

Spicy Chili Lime Jerky 07.jpg

Let it cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Freeze any that won’t be eaten within a week.

The Verdict

I hate to blow my own horn but, Ta Da! The first thing you taste is a touch of lime. Then a slow heat builds to hot sensation on your tongue but it doesn’t cause any pain. Chili heads will like these but find them a little mild. Us mere mortals will find a definite heat but not over the top.

Disco

Attachments

• Spicy Chili Lime Jerky 04.jpg
    Spicy Chili Lime Jerky 04.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Hi Mountain Bourbon BBQ Jerky 1.jpg
    Hi Mountain Bourbon BBQ Jerky 1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 25
Hmm, I was thinking about doing a batch of jerky. But wasn't sure what flavor. Now I know! These look fantastic!

Disco them seeds can make it hotter the next day.
Richie

Last edited:
That’s some great looking jerky! I need to make more soon. I’d love to try this.

like!

Wow, looks like a great jerky recipe. I may just archive that for the future... :emoji_smile_cat:

Thanks....

JC :emoji_cat:

Brand new to this site. I noticed those fine looking jerky and was wondering what kind of smoker you used to accomplish them in such a short time. I have a Lang 48 on a trailer and use a basket set up with charcoal in the firebox along with some accent chunks for a smoky profile and run at the same temp as you. They do look nice and the recipe is definitely a keeper to try. I like the site and the info here something to draw from but, all those popups can be annoying. Sure wish I had one to try..guess I'll just have to make a batch

Reactions: JC in GB
Awesome job from the northern master.

Warren

Thanks, Warren. I told She Who Must Be Obeyed I was a master. She doesn't think so.

Brand new to this site. I noticed those fine looking jerky and was wondering what kind of smoker you used to accomplish them in such a short time. I have a Lang 48 on a trailer and use a basket set up with charcoal in the firebox along with some accent chunks for a smoky profile and run at the same temp as you. They do look nice and the recipe is definitely a keeper to try. I like the site and the info here something to draw from but, all those popups can be annoying. Sure wish I had one to try..guess I'll just have to make a batch

I smoked these on my Traeger Timberline Pellet smoker. I used to do low temperature smokes for hours for jerky but now I cut the meat at about 3/16 inch thick and smoke it at 200 F for 2 hours. It doesn't totally dry the meat tough and you can get away with that because I use Prague powder #1 and cure the meat. I can't take credit for the method. I got it from the times I bought Hi Mountain cures.

You say "I like the site and the info here something to draw from but, all those popups can be annoying.". Are you referring to my blog or SMF?

That is some awesome jerky. Thanks for the tutorial and recipe.”

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes sir, you can toot your horn all you want. Your recipes have never steered me wrong yet. This one will be added. Thank you !

Looks & Sounds Great, Disco!!
And Awesome Step by Step!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

High words from my inspiration. Thanks, Bear!

Toot , toot / Beep , beep .
Nice work . I bet the flavor is fantastic .

Har! You are very kind!

Yes sir, you can toot your horn all you want. Your recipes have never steered me wrong yet. This one will be added. Thank you !

I am very grateful for you kind compliment!

Ha Disco you better work on that tomorrow is the big day for the ladies.

Warren

The missus is very forgiving. Thank heaven!

Looks great! Man I need to make up a big batch soon. no matter how mu ch I make its gone in a week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky