Spicy Grilled 6-Cheese Lasagna (W / Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
FDA Warning: If you're lactose intolerant, you may want to stop here :emoji_blush:

You folks are gonna be the death of me!! I can't think of a better way to go though :emoji_laughing: Since really embracing this forum and starting to participate more actively it's gotten to the point that I'm just not satisfied with basic food any more. Every attempted meal must be epic in one way or another. The inspiration I've gotten from the good folks here just keep pushing me to continue turning out better and better food. This is a perfect example of that. I've made lasagna for years but nothing like this one!!

Started with a pound of my homemade Italian sausage
005.jpg

Brown the sausage and drain the grease
006.jpg

Add the components of the sauce and all the spices
007.jpg

Sauce all mixed up and starting to get happy
008.jpg

Mix up some garlic butter for the bread
009.jpg

Made a nice Italian style salad using my spicy pepper vinegar and EVOO as dressing and sprinkled with mixed Italian herbs
010.jpg

Time to start building the lasagna. A small amount of sauce on the bottom so the noodles don't stick
011.jpg

First layer of noodles and cottage cheese. Ricotta works well also but Tracy prefers cottage cheese
012.jpg

More sauce and the other 5 cheeses
013.jpg

Repeat until pan is full or you run out of ingredients. I ran out of ingredients before the pan was full :emoji_disappointed:
014.jpg

Onto the grill
015.jpg

Coming along nicely
017.jpg

Time to get the garlic bread going. This was cooked on the grill also but no pic
016.jpg

Lasagna and bread all done
018.jpg

019.jpg

Money shot. My dinner plated...well the first of a couple plates :emoji_wink:
022.jpg

Close up of the lasagna
021.jpg

I've always loved Italian food but since really getting into cooking and learning more about blending flavors, the quality of what I'm turning out has improved dramatically. This lasagna was absolutely fantastic and a flavor bomb. Deep, rich, complex, and a really nice little spice tingle. I put the sauce recipe together several years ago but dialed it in recently after what I'd learned here about creating flavors and layering them. I absolutely LOVE this spicy sauce and would probably enjoy it over a bowl of Cheerios!! The 6 different cheeses were cottage, mozzarella, provolone, Parmesan, Asiago, and Romano. These combined for a very rich creaminess when it all melted together. The lasagna did not stack as high as I'd have liked but I ran out of sauce. This thing probably weighed close to 6 pounds when all was said and done. Although not as thick as I would have liked, it was very dense and filling. I still managed to eat almost three pieces....and promptly fell over on the couch for a while :emoji_blush: Thanks for looking.

About my best lasagna ever,
Robert

Looks great! I would never think of lasagna on the grill. Thanks for sharing, and for giving me a new idea. Like you, I find this place to be amazing for upping my game. Glad I found it. And it sounds you're definitely glad as well.

Another great meal in the books. Looks great Robert.

Thanks Steve. It's guys like you that make me want to keep getting better...so I'm just gonna cut to the chase and place full blame on you for this one....and me gaining about 5 pounds from it :emoji_laughing:

Blamestoring again,
Robert

Reactions: Steve H
Nice, italian food is our go to around here...

LIKE!

John

Thank you John. We too love Italian and I used to make it more often but with so many things I've started making based on reading the forum, the rotation has gotten a lot bigger

I love a good lasagna, and yours looks delicious!
Man, this forum is horrible on my diet :)

How well I know the dietary issues this place can create. Blessedly I have a metabolism that allows me to drink and eat as much of whatever I want and not gain weight. The wife has found herself needing to be a bit more watchful though. Se's fairly small and any weight gain on her shows....and she hates it so is very mindful about not over indulging.

She's still tiny and really cute though!!
Robert

I can't even spell Lactose without spellcheck........
Looks fantastic Robert - LIKE!

HA!! I guess I got lucky. Had never written it before but managed to get it right the first time. The benefits of an advanced 3rd grade education I guess :emoji_wink:

Thank you for the LIKE. very much appreciate it

Robert

Looks great! I would never think of lasagna on the grill. Thanks for sharing, and for giving me a new idea.

I've always loved cooking outside and do pretty much everything on the grills or one of several different smokers. Anything that can be cooked inside on a stove or in an oven can be done better outside. If you really want to see some interesting grill cooking, go to the Events forum and check out the Cen Tex event day 2 thread. we did biscuits, sausage gravy, and a bunch of other stuff. I started doing a lot of stuff on the grill years ago when we used to do a lot of camping. From there I started in in Summer. Didn't make sense to spend a fortune cooling the house then fire up the oven so everything started getting cooked outside.

Robert

I've always loved cooking outside and do pretty much everything on the grills or one of several different smokers. Anything that can be cooked inside on a stove or in an oven can be done better outside. If you really want to see some interesting grill cooking, go to the Events forum and check out the Cen Tex event day 2 thread. we did biscuits, sausage gravy, and a bunch of other stuff. I started doing a lot of stuff on the grill years ago when we used to do a lot of camping. From there I started in in Summer. Didn't make sense to spend a fortune cooling the house then fire up the oven so everything started getting cooked outside.

Robert
Makes sense. I do make pizza on the grill often, as well as a few other non traditional foods, but I just never thought lasagna would work. But I'm definitely up for it now.

Looks great Robert! I love a good lasagna and yours looks to be up there with the best of them! I too would eat a few pieces until I sank like a brick. It’s nice to have that salad for some bright and acidic balance.

When you done on the grill? Was this on the rec tec?

When you done on the grill? Was this on the rec tec?

No sir. This one was done on the 42" Lynx propane grill. I thought about using the Rec Tec but was afraid it'd be too smoky with the noodles being very porous and would absorb a bunch of the flavor.

Robert

That looks amazing! Nothing like a couple plates of lasagna to comfort you right onto the couch for a food coma. Will have to give this a try. Gonna have to add more pages to the to do list.
Ryan

Will have to give this a try. Gonna have to add more pages to the to do list.

If you decide to give it a run and would like the recipe for the spicy marinara sauce, just let me know. It's been posted before but it's buried in another thread somewhere and it'd be easier if I just post it again should anybody be interested.

Robert

That would be great Robert. Be way easier than searching for it. Plus others might want it also. We are not real spicy people, I like it more spicy than my wife, but I can tone it down a little if need be.
Thanks
Ryan

That looks awesome!

My mother is a cooking machine especially of all things Mexican and Tex-Mex, but my favorite dish in the entire world is her lasagna. She too uses cottage cheese and I way prefer it to ricotta.

This makes me wonder how a smoked lasagna done with maybe a wood like Alder would come out!!!!
I mean smoked mac'n cheese is awesome so I would imagine smoked lasagna would be good too :)

Wow, nice dish. I like the Tang of the Cottage Cheese in Lasagna. Another good cheese addition is 8oz of Cream Cheese for every 2 pounds of the others. Makes for a Creamy addition. Bev and I were just discussing making Lasagna next week for a visit from my oldest Daughter. A Fancy addition I make,instead of sliced Italian Sausage is, I make a big batch of Meatball mix, 4 to 5 pounds, and bake it in Loaf Pans. It gets chilled overnight then sliced, lengthwise into 1/4" slabs. The meatball slabs are then arranged in the Lasagna layers to give a hearty portion of flavorfull Meat in every bite. A little more work but so worth it...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky