Spicy CI Grilled Deep Dish Meatball Lasagna (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
This one goes out to my friend clifish clifish who recently commented on the single-serve CI baking dishes I have. Tracy got those for me and they have "Food Network" on the bottom. Don't know if that helps in your quest or not.

For some odd reason the other day I got a taste for a meatball marinara sub with lots of gooey melted cheese. Oops!! No sub rolls to be had anywhere and I didn't feel like going to the store. Called an audible and came up with this monstrosity. Got the meatballs done and Tracy came in and "reminded" me that she was meeting Lori for wine and cheese happy hour. Meatballs into the fridge till the next day.

Meatballs all made up and into a skillet.
001.jpg

All done and going into the fridge...unfortunately.
002.jpg

Fast forward 24 hours and into a pan with homemade marinara.
003.jpg

Made the lasagna noodles. This was short lived though. Tossed them into hot water for just a minute to soften up and they went to pieces on me. Had to call another audible and use store bought.
004.jpg

Noodles into the CI baking dishes and add some Ricotta.
005.jpg

Load in as many meatballs as I can stuff in there,
006.jpg

Parm and Romano cheeses.
007.jpg

And more Ricotta.
008.jpg

Fold the noodles over.
009.jpg

More marinara on top.
010.jpg

A bunch of mozz.
012.jpg

And onto the grill at about 350*.
013.jpg

About 25 minutes later they are done. Now for the moment of truth: can I get them out of the pans without destroying them.
014.jpg

Success!! Plated up with some cheesy garlic toast.
015.jpg

Sliced shot. This is where things get sloppy.
016.jpg

And of course the closeup shot.
017.jpg

Man oh man, these were a true Italian flavor bomb but they were also incredibly filling. Those little CI baking dishes hold a lot more food than they look like they will. As much as we love Italian food around here, these were a big hit. Fun, interesting, and creative. It's just nice being able to mix things up and do some different stuff. Hey Justin ( Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ ) with your new found love of Italian food, you might want to give these a close look :emoji_wink: One thing is for sure, this meal beat the heck out of the meatball marinara sub I was originally thinking about. Another debacle with non-traditional food but it sure was good. I can promise that these will get done again.

Well, gonna call this one done. Y'all take care and see everybody soon.

Robert

Nice Robert, Looks amazing!

I just got to PA so hopefully I can hit a store or 2 for those. I am doing your extra cheesy CI ranchero skillet and the deconstructed stuffed poblanos this weekend here for friends.

Reactions: JLeonard
Blue 32, Blue 32 gmc is jones'in for meatball lasagna on 3 hutt hutt hutt. Nicely done Robert they look great. One question - why didn't you just eat the lasagna out of the CI pan?

Point for sure
Chris

A fine looking cook Robert, I'd be gettin' down on that dish! You just had to toss the pasta you made? Somewhere there was a lesson to be learned, maybe the hard way! It's going to be Italian week down around these parts, pasta, pizza, frittata, and sausage, nothin' new. RAY

Looks good Robert . I have 2 6" skillets I've been using for stuff like this . Seems to add something to the dish I think .
Nice work .

Very creative cook Robert. Looks killer. I think it time for some pasta! We had a pretty good hail storm yesterday. Storms where rolling in as I left the river. I sat on top on the dam to watch it come in. Great place to watch storms as you can see a long way 360 degrees. It ended up just raining. No lighting or tornado to watch. Right after got home hail hit. I have a 40' patio with metal roof. Man was that loud!

Reactions: JLeonard
Great looking meal. And a great punt return.
But what did you eat while Tracy was drinking wine and scarfing down cheese?

Jim

Ingenuity is the 'father' of invention :emoji_wink:. Nuttin' like calling audible's to come up with a new meal. Looks fantastic Robert! Hope you had a good red wine to with 'em.

They look delicious Robert! I'm pretty sure I would have flopped it upside down coming out of the pan!

Ryan

Mmm...Italian is one of my favorite cuisines, and you nailed this Robert! Looks so simple, but looks absolutely delicious! I don't have any of those little CI pans, so I'm gonna have to find my own audible to do this recipe soon!

Nice!
Red

Dang, will you stop all these specials I'm gaining enough weight.
Have to come help to clean up to adjust the weight gain.

Warren

Nice Robert, Looks amazing!
Thanks so much Cliff.
I just got to PA so hopefully I can hit a store or 2 for those
Good luck on your quest and keep us posted.
I am doing your extra cheesy CI ranchero skillet and the deconstructed stuffed poblanos this weekend here for friends.
I am honored that you found it worthy, especially enough so to serve to friends.

Robert

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky