Spice dosage help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

razvan

Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
I am trying to make some Texas hot links and I can't find the right dosage in grams for mustard powder, sweet paprika and onion powder. How many grams should I try for these spices, for 1kg of meat? Thank you!

Reactions: zwiller
No idea but in the for ride. I find the vast majority of these recipes are not based on weight.

Most spices are approximately 2.0g per 1kg of meat. Thats a good starting point. Here is what i found for the spices your asking about.

Mustard powder 2.3g per 1kg of meat
Onion powder 2.5g per 1kg of meat
Paprika 2.1g per 1kg of meat

This would be a good starting point for a small batch to taste test and adjust from there. Every one is going to like a little different flavor profile so add and take away spices to your own liking. Hopefully this gives you a good starting point

From what I understand, the amounts below are "typical" for commercial amounts to add to meats for sausage... The amounts "should" convert to rubs etc. fairly close...

Spice conversion 001.jpg
Spice Usage 2.jpg

I know the chart, but some of the quantities listed are not accurate, in my opinion. For ex. I think 2.0g allspice for 1kg is way too much. Same for cardamom, 1g will ruin the sausage, 2g is certainly inedible. I find that more than 0.5g allspice is pretty overpowering. Cardamom is even stronger, I think 0.3g for 1kg meat should be more than enough.
The rest of the quantities listed are ok, I will try 2g mustard powder, 3g onion powder and 3g smoked paprika at first.

LOL. I forgot just how much these Texas hot link recipes are all over the place. I can't even figure out if Hot Gut is a hot link or if Czech Tex is or not. Never had them. That said, I have had Dickey's sausage and love the stuff but apparently it's just a smoked polish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky