SPG Ratios for simple texas style pork ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thicc Stallion

Original poster
Apr 5, 2022
Omaha, NE
I haven't tried a simple SPG rub in a while and the last time I did it, I did 2 parts pepper, 1 part salt, and 1 part garlic. To me it still seemed a little heavy on the salt but then I was looking at some other peoples recipes and they were doing crazy things likes, 4 parts salt, 4 parts black pepper and 1 part garlic. That just seemed like way too much salt and not enough garlic. So I just want to see what everyone says before I mix my next batch for the ribs. Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Remember, that if you're buying Swift brand ribs and a lot of other brands they pump their ribs with up to 3% Brining solution, so be careful with adding more salt.

I found out the hard way a few cooks ago, I basically turned my ribs into one of these.:emoji_yum:
1688641698079.png

I prefer to use 2 pepper to 1 salt and 1 granulated garlic. I REALLY dislike garlic powder and onion powder so I use the granulated versions. Mix the below in a shaker bottle and add as desired... you won't use it all on 1 rack of ribs

2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic

Reactions: Thicc Stallion
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky