Speed time ribs using pressure cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steves8860

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 17, 2021
I may be short on time due to my work schedule.

Thinking that I could start the ribs in a pressure cooker (have read that in a couple of cookbooks) and then throw in the smoker for smoke and the foil some of them (I prefer not foiling for texture myself).

Any thoughts? Too much?

First thought........................You're treading into terrorist's territory! :emoji_yum:
Sorry sometimes I just can't help myself. I have not idea if that will work.

If you have time a day or 2 before hand I would do that. Wrap in foil and throw in the fridge. When your ready for them unwrap them and reheat them on the grill. Sauce them at the end if you like.

I would do as Sowsage Sowsage suggested, do the day before or do them hot and fast on the smoker...IE at 295 ish then wrap. If you want dry, just put on the gas grill till desired surface texture when you are ready to eat....

FYI pressure cooking is steam/braising cooking....at and IT of 150 or so smoke won't on into the meat anymore so just surface cook.... You would have better result simply roasting them at 325-350 over pressure cooker.....

I may be short on time due to my work schedule.

Thinking that I could start the ribs in a pressure cooker (have read that in a couple of cookbooks) and then throw in the smoker for smoke and the foil some of them (I prefer not foiling for texture myself).

Any thoughts? Too much?
I think it's toss-up between flavor smoking first, then a pressure finish.... and pressure cooking first, with a smoker finish. I have a friend that seasoned and pressure cooked his ribs, then let them chill. He would re-season lightly and finish off on a kettle grill, adding glaze at the end. They were not bad ribs, but I think they came up short on flavor from seasoning, and from smoke.

I was really hungry for ribs one time but didn't have very long to make them. I cooked some in the instant pot until they were cooked through and tender, and then threw them on a propane grill with some BBQ sauce and caramelized the BBQ sauce and got some char on them. They were decent, but definitely no match for properly smoked ribs.

Part of it could have been an issue with my technique. They did come out decent enough though and got eaten.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky