Spatchcock Chicken Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grizsmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Missoula, MT
I am curious where you all have found the best place to place my meat thermometer on a spatchcocked chicken is?

On a regular bird I test the area between the breast and the thigh, but on a spatchy that does not seem possible.

Thanks for your help!!

Probe the breast or thigh. IT 165 and you are done. I'm a dry smoke chamber smoker so I'll always say no water. Since the MES can't get above 300 I'd vote for no water so your skin doesn't end up too rubbery. Won't be to crisp but should be edible without the water.

Thanks dirtsailor!
I have the bird in the smoker now and opted for no water. I do not like the rubbery skin so I am glad I did not add water.
Thanks for your input!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky