1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Spare Ribs!!!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jbellard, Jul 11, 2018.

1. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

356BF16A-A68C-47F4-929E-1F562E3BE610.jpeg 75402FFE-CB84-4366-BCCF-61C5F838ED11.jpeg 3D110FE4-6F2D-4131-BF58-713267D18426.jpeg 07FD52F7-E55F-48BE-B7B4-665A264AC360.jpeg 3962F315-BB2F-4DF2-9474-176EFDD3E40A.jpeg So I had some of my HS guys come over to hang out and eat spare ribs.
    Cooked 6 racks of spares.
    Used white oak for the first time and it kept my temps so steady. It was so nice.
    Put my own rub on them, cooked for about 3 hrs unwrapped at 325 (I was running a bit behind) and they came out amazing. The guys liked them better without bbq sauce.
    Here’s the pics. Enjoy!

Jeffrey

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Good looking ribs! Now if I just had a plate of them.

3. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Those are some beautiful ribs! I wouldn't want sauce either!

Mike

4. cal1956

cal1956 Smoking Fanatic

great color on the ribs , you did a very nice job !!!

5. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Thanks guys!

It has been over a month since I’ve gotten to cook on my stick burner. Too long.

6. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Hot and fast! Gorgeous.

7. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks great and I like spares more than BB,great looking pit,love the horse shoe lid stops,going to mount a couple on my rig but will weld to smoker instead of lid to keep the weight down

8. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

You got some lucky HS friends. Those ribs look fantastic.

Point for sure.

Chris

9. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job on the ribs Jeffery!
    That is a great looking rig you have too!
    And congrats on making the carousel!
    Al

10. kruizer

kruizer Smoking Fanatic

Awesome looking ribs!!!

11. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Thanks guys! It was so much fun even though I got such a late start.

Carousel is nice to take a ride on every so often!!

Horseshoes on doors are from Aaron franklin videos. I got our local Hs welding class to make the smoker for me for the price of a pork butt and some buns. Not too shabby. I just brought them the parts and materials as I could pay for them and give them the design I wanted. Was able to keep it somewhat simple. Don’t have any air vents in firebox door but like aaron franklin just keep the firebox door cracked open and it works perfectly. Had no issues keeping temps steady yesterday. Used white oak and I could tell a huge difference between that and pecan as far as burn time, heat and how stable it was for about an hour. Only had two to three logs on at one time.
    Anyway, thanks again for the kudos. It’s just fun to be able to cook food for others.

12. dcecil

dcecil Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Great lookin cook, congrats on the carousel ride.

13. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Those are some great looking ribs, and very nice smoker as well. Like. Congrats on the carousel ride.

14. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

So I went to the post office on Tuesday with my bbq team shirt on and one of the ladies working behind the counter asked if I had a bbq team. I said well me and some Hs guys cook in this annual bbq competition but I don’t sell it or anything. Well she still says, I’d be alright if you brought me some bbq.

there were a few ribs left over from the feast last night so I just brought them up to the post office. I got a big hug over the counter! I got a call soon after I got back home and They loved the ribs and someone there said she should marry that guy. (Sorry I’m already taken.)
    it just goes to show that bbq can bring all kinds of people together and that it’s fun to share the spoils of a good cook session.

ksblazer likes this.
  15. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Hey I'm late seeing this was going to ask if any were left and dang you gave them to the post office. They could of had my address on them. Man-O-Man.

Hey all fun aside great looking ribs.

Warren

16. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice rig and good looking ribs, congrats on the Carousel ride.
    I like the Hot-n-Fast cook.
    I'm not a big fan of sauced ribs either.

Like!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  17. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice Rig!!

And Nice Job on the Ribs, Jeffrey!!
    Like.

Bear

18. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Thanks fellas!

19. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Didn't they teach you in kindergarten about sharing? Did you bring enough for everyone?

Like!

20. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

There were probably 6-8 ribs in the ziplock that were plenty meaty.
    I’m sure it was a great snack for several folks.