Spare Ribs for this evening Including Erics Blueberry Cherry rub.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pigbark

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Southern I ndiana
Started this morning around 11 am.. set the MES on 250 with  no water in it, checked on em about 1 pm and I didn't like what I saw so I fired up the Outlaw and their gonna finish up in there.. The MES holds a lot of moisture and the rubs im using today turned to mush,

The Blueberry Cherry rub that Eric and Dave have been using tastes really good dry.

We modified the recipe to our taste , we dropped the Cumin and added 1 TBS All Spice .

Dropped the Kosher salt and added the same amount of Mortons salt substitute..

all other ingredients are the same...

We also used our basic rub that has a earthy overall tone with a tad of sweetness and a touch of bite at the end..

The kids like a salt and pepper rub with some straight up Kraft BBQ sauce-

Got our tile table done last night gonna be a outside dinner/ prep table.

Been a busy day...

OK lets get this rollin..

heres the table first of all.. fun lil build..

Blueberry Cherry rub

the rub we made, kind of earthy with a tad of sweet and a touch of bite at the end.

trimmed and cut

patted dry and rubbed

Blueberry Cherry rubbed and pressed in..time for the fridge.

today, time for the smoker.. 1100 am

on the racks-

Going in at 225

Eric, you said heavy smoke lol- I had 2 rows going on the AMNPS- somehow it jumped into the next row..

911 that's to much smoke lol...

I checked on em at 1245 and they looked really moist on top, all most mushy looking.. I fired up the Outlaw to finish them up.. The MES is a good lil smoker but it runs really humid and it seems the meat wants to sweat up a lot more than im used to..

Foiled at around 1420

1645 and looking a lot better.

I think their happy.

Blueberry sliced in half for me and Cindy

The recipe is a keeper, its in the book..

This recipe is worth a shot if it catches your attention.. The under tones of the recipe come through in the finish taste, the Blueberry and Cherry are vaguely present, they really cook off a lot more than I thought they would... I will use this recipe again, Thumbs up from me... Thanks for sharing it with us Eric and thanks Dave for the no salt version...

Last edited:
Looks like everybody was happy so I know it was Good!!! I'm happy it worked out for you!! It all looks Awesome!!! And the table looks Great too!!!

I dried some blueberries last night, got a couple of chuckies and a small sirloin tip I'm going to try it on!

yea it was good, best part is we get a APM today.. Already prepared meal aka Leftovers, we cooked enough for 2 meals ,maybe 3 lol...

Sounds good, we were wondering how it would taste on beef... let us know how you like it..

Now, THAT'S how I wanted my rub laid on...man, that looks GOOD!!!

ROFLMAO!!! That's gettin' after it, brother!!!

Yeah, those blueberry/cherry ribs look dark, but that's mostly the coloring in the fruits coming out at the end...they can look scorched in a pic, but when you get the angle and lighting just right, all you see is a deep brown...great caramelization!!!

Glad to see it played out for a good fit for your preferences...that's the best part, to be able to identify what you want to change to suit your tastes and just roll with it and have a great meal when the...(extra heavy...I'm still laughing about that!!!)...smoke clears. It must not have been too heavy for too long, I suspect.

Great rib smoke!!! I really enjoyed reading this...made my day after playin' in the slop from all the rain and snow we've been getting lately...makes me wanna fire up for another rib smoke this weekend!!!

Eric

Be sure to keep a notebook on your smokes to look back on!  (I had a memory once but forgot what I did with it....! lol!)

Now, THAT'S how I wanted my rub laid on...man, that looks GOOD!!!

ROFLMAO!!! That's gettin' after it, brother!!!

Yeah, those blueberry/cherry ribs look dark, but that's mostly the coloring in the fruits coming out at the end...they can look scorched in a pic, but when you get the angle and lighting just right, all you see is a deep brown...great caramelization!!!

Glad to see it played out for a good fit for your preferences...that's the best part, to be able to identify what you want to change to suit your tastes and just roll with it and have a great meal when the...(extra heavy...I'm still laughing about that!!!)...smoke clears. It must not have been too heavy for too long, I suspect.

Great rib smoke!!! I really enjoyed reading this...made my day after playin' in the slop from all the rain and snow we've been getting lately...makes me wanna fire up for another rib smoke this weekend!!!

Eric
Yea they looked burnt but as you said the fruits coming out at the "end" .. I wasn't ready for that to be honest.. When I panned em up for 2 hrs then took em out the rub was very moist "again"  but on the last hr of the smoke the outer rub dried up fast and they looked great after 35 minutes and I probably shoulda pulled them out.. but im trying to get past being stubborn and actually follow a recipe as written lol...  even though they got pretty dark, I never not one time tasted anything burnt at all... The Rosemary really came through with a nice bright flavor that kept you wanting another bite and another and ... My sister n law loves em and seen the recipe, Cindy told her no pix and don't copy it lol I was rolling... everyone who has tried them so far really likes them a lot .. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us...

the 911 smoke,, naw not to heavy very long.. I seen it coming out the stack like a freight train pulling a mountain .. it was way to thick and I knew something was wrong...

~Jim

Be sure to keep a notebook on your smokes to look back on!  (I had a memory once but forgot what I did with it....! lol!)
Ahhhh yes I have one of those... been keeping it for the past 2 months and it actually is helping me already .. I have recipes in it and cook times n temps , methods etc. O yea I got your Brine recipe in it as well as some Pork in the Brine.. I want to say thanks for sharing that recipe as im new to curing.. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I seen on the www lol..

~Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky