Spaghetti Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
tanya,
don't take my comments as saying anything about you at all. You have posted many recipes and ones that I will definitly put in my book of keepers. My only point on this one was that I didn't understand why use a canned commercial ready made spagetti sauce in the recipe, I think it is not needed at all, especially after all the hard work of the first 13 ingredients.........but it's not my recipe, and as you said not yours either.....however I guess some folks just want to throw daggers, I do so apologize to you personally if you took offense to anything I said, but that applies to you only, others...well....... Personally what we make here is basic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, majoram, oregano, basel and parsley.......

i'm wondering where the peace sign smiley went ??? to each their own i always say. in my "poor musician days" i have been known to throw a can of generic tomato soup w, a handful of my grown garlic & basil over ramen noodles & tell myself it was spaghetti.

yea, and I remember the day's of top ramon noodles and all.(and with our current leadership...well, lets hope we can live on top ramon if we can afford even that)....I'm just saying suddenly everyone seems to want to think or make me out to be this big horses rear when I am not, maybe it's because my ex was from north dakota or maybe it is my ex.......I don't know and I don't care.....however all I did was state a simple opinion, sorry if somebody got their underwear in a bind over it......good lord.....guess maybe I'll just go back to sitting behind the site and wondering when my counts dive low enough to be in the hospital.....
icon_eek.gif

I'm fairly new here but I have plenty of forum experience from other boards. This seems to be nothing more than the classic, "Forum Communication Gap". Spoken word and written word are interpreted entirely different a lot more often than you would like to think. It is way easier for something to be taken out of context on a forum than it is when you are speaking to someone face to face.

Smoked, I have been in your shoes many a times trust me. I'd like to ask you to step back for a moment and ask yourself: Could I have possibly phrased my opinion in a way that would not have made people jump to conclusions?

I think something along these lines might have done just that, "Personally I would prefer not to use commercial sauce, so when I try this recipe I will be excluding that ingredient for my tastes".

Do you see the differene? I know it seems silly but the smallest things can cause your post to be taken out of context from your original intention to the point where people feel like they are being tageted.

There really is no harm or foul here imo. Just a simple communication gap.

All the best,

We love canning at our house and frequently make sauce in five gallon batches. Here's one of my favorites that I learned from my late mother's late cousin Giggy Schiavetti.

4 LARGE (gallon) cans crushed tomatoes ( Like from Sam's club as mentioned by an earlier poster)

4-8 oz cans tomato paste

3 medium onions, chpped - I like Vidalias if acvailable

6 cloves of garlic, chopped

Crushed red pepper

Red Wine - I make a 53 gallon barrel every year and it is quite similar to Carlo Rossi's Paisano.

Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Salt and Pepper to taste (approximate amounts given in the body of the recipe, but taste is subjective)

Olive oil

1-1/2 lbs each: Pork butt or neckbones, Veal shank or thick chops, Sweet or hot Italian fennel sausage ( Again, I make my own by there are some decent commercial sausages available, especially if you live up North.)

Medium High Heat approx. 1/2 cup good olive oil (doesn't have to be "EVOO" - I ain't that snobby) in a large (24 quart) heavy bottomed stainless stock pot. Add a large pinch of redd pepper flakes and seeds and cook for a minute - then Brown well the neckbones or pork butt ( all in one big chunk) - don't crowd the pan, do a bit at a time - repeat with the veal and the salsiccia - set browned meat aside to drain on paper towels.

Add a little red wine ( 1/2 cup) and scrape up all the nice brown stuff til the bottom of the pan is quite clean - turn the heat down to medium and add your onions and braise for three or four minutes til limp and translucent - Add your garlic and braise 1 - 2 minutes.

When the onions and garlic are "Nice" add your tomato paste and stir constantly for a minute or two mixing the paste and the wine and vegetables well. Add your crushed tomatoes - When I empty a can I fill it about half with fresh water and rinse the remaining tomato into the water - repeat with all cans using the same water and add that to the pot - by now you'll have approx. 20 quarts - give or take - stir well to mix thouroughly. I use a modified (Shortened handle) Bayou Classic wooden paddle to stir mine - you can really keep the bottom of the pot cleaned off and prevent sticking and burning without scarring your pot -

Raise the heat to medium high and bring the pot just to a boil then reduce heat again to medium, medium low - just a nice simmer -

Add a good three count of red wine ( I prefer to use wine instead of sugar and this is a bit odd because Giggy and my Mom were Sicillians who, as a people, generally love sweet sauce as opposed to Neopolitan sauce which is less sweet and a bit tangy). Then your spices - my approximate measure is a mound of each herb in my palm that is about 2-1/2" across and gently mounded - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup.

Add salt and pepper to taste - generally less than the herbs and adjust later because too much salt and pepper can ruin a batch quickly. Stir well and then cut the browned meat into nice size pieces and add to the sauce. Simmer without a cover until the meat starts to get tender, stirring often and skimming the acid that rises to the surface occasionally - about 2 to 3 hours. Taste occasionally and adjust your seasoning to taste.

Prepare your jars, lids and bands - we run our jars through a cycle in the dishwasher and place our lids and bands into a pot of water that has been brought to a boil and then removed from the heat.

Fill the jars with the hot sauce leaving 1/2 - 3/4" head space - position the lids and bands and torque slightly. Process in a PRESSURE CANNER per manufacturer's guidelines - With our Presto canner we process ANYTHING with meat products four 40 minutes at 15 lbs pressure. When processed remove from heat and let pressure drop of it's own accord - we never, under any circumstance, place the canner in the sink and shower with cold water although I have seen recipes that call for it - go figure...

When jars have cooled check for an effective seal and store in an appropriate space.

The extended processing time cooks the meat until it almost breaks down and becomes shreds and super tender chunks - Traditionally the meat is removed from the sauce and served as a separate course but this is a fine point and I prefer the meat in my sauce over pasta.

cook your pasta Al Dente' and serve hot - I prefer Rigatoni ( or as Giggy used to call it Gavatuna)or large shells that hold the meat sauce but it's also great with a wide flat noodles or linguini.

Pasta is another story and we also make our own according to Grandma Valery's recipes - perhaps in another thread if anybody's interested..

Mangia!

B

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky