Sous vide in cryopac

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bytor

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, but is there any harm in giving a bath in the original Cryovac packaging? I scored several Smithfield preseason pork tenderloins and was wondering if they can just go directly in. Seems a waste to take them out and put into another bag.
Any thoughts on the matter?

Reactions: JLeonard
I have done it several times as well.
46AB1990-A375-44BC-BF59-96FC2F2E4273.jpeg

Al

Last edited:
Reactions: Bytor and JLeonard
Start by putting the cryo into a container and let it thaw. If there's no blood/juice in the tray, you're good. I've had way too many that have had pinhole leaks that aren't noticeable while it's frozen. After the first time you come back to a cryo full of hot sous vide water (and have to get the blood off of the heating element) you'll want to check...

I'm going to give this a go with a Smithfield Loin Fillet. They are loin, split long ways to make them about the same size and shape as a tenderloin.
I generally prefer the texture at about 165 deg with other methods but Not sure how long.
Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I just did porksteaks in accordance with Bearcarvers method and got a BIG thumbs up from the She-Beast. NOT an easy task. She has issues with all but the most tender meat. I am sick and tired of chicken and fish because they are almost always tender enough for her to chew. I just don't have the time to cook 2 menus, so it's time the SV earned it's keep and bailed me out.

I generally SV pork at 145°. You will have to play around with the time depending on thickness, but I generally run thick cut (1 inch) chops a couple hours or so before searing.

I like lean pork and chicken breasts out of the SV at 145 followed by a quick sear. Juicy and tender every time. So consistent it feels like I'm cheating somehow

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky