Sous Vide Filet Migon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
So I scored a few filet migons the other day. I pulled two out of the freezer to thaw. My plan is to immerse them at 135F for 1.5 hours. These steaks are close to 2" thick.

I seasoned them with sea salt, cracked black pepper and thyme.

Steaks are in the bag with a few pats of butter and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

Let's see how they turn out. I will sear them and serve with a pan sauce made from the bag juices and butter.

Reactions: disco
Well the filet migon came out delicious! I'm very pleased with the results because I always struggled to cook a thick filet.

I'm not a bloody rare guy, so when I would make these the inside would be raw or if I cooked to a med rare temp, the outside would be over cooked. Throwing these in the SV fixed that...and now the rest of the pics.

Filet migon out of the bath at 1.5 hours:

Patted dry and reseasoned with Montreal steak seasoning and parsley:

Seared with basting oil and butter. After I pulled the steaks out, I added more butter, the bag juices (wasn't much) and a little Pinot noir:

Here's the finished and plated shots:

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed...I sure did!

My family had severe reservations about me having bought a sous vide cooker. I served them filet mignon with bernaise sauce the other night, end of argument. My son-in-law offered to buy the crab and asparagus needed to turn that into steak oscar next time.

BTW: We all like it medium rare around here. I did them at 129 this time. I'll probably go 128 next time.

Also did  pork loin chops (just a pork loin cut into around 1.5-2.0" thickness) the other day. Recipe here. https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/cocoa-spice-rubbed-pork-loin-steaks   Everyone said best ever.

Looks Real Tasty, Xray!!!
drool.gif
---
points.gif

Very Nice!!
drool.gif

Nice Job!!
icon14.gif

Sorry I'm so late to the Party!!

Bear

Last edited:
My family had severe reservations about me having bought a sous vide cooker. I served them filet mignon with bernaise sauce the other night, end of argument. My son-in-law offered to buy the crab and asparagus needed to turn that into steak oscar next time.

BTW: We all like it medium rare around here. I did them at 129 this time. I'll probably go 128 next time.

Also did  pork loin chops (just a pork loin cut into around 1.5-2.0" thickness) the other day. Recipe here. https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/cocoa-spice-rubbed-pork-loin-steaks  Everyone said best ever.

Thanks for the recipe, it's bookmarked to try. It almost seems like a molè sauce.

Looks Real Tasty, Xray!!!:drool ---:points:

Very Nice!!:drool

Nice Job!!Thumbs Up

Sorry I'm so late to the Party!!

Bear

Thanks bear and thanks for the point! The SV worked very well for the thicker cut of meat. I don't want my steak to moo when I cut into it...or the outside is overcooked using a grill. I was quite happy with the results.

Those look amazing and I definitely need to get a sous vide! I see all these posts and look on with envy!

Great cook, point!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky