Sous Vide Chicken Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
This was my first attempt last weekend on cooking SV chicken wings. I grilled, deep fried, smoked, baked them before and they were always good. This time I decided to try SV-ed them to see the difference. I vac packed 2# of wings and in the SV container with hot water at 155F. Cooked them for three hours, then on the wiring rack and in the fridge till tomorrow to dry.... Next day was a day when my son visiting us so... when he comes he already was itchy for wings and tried to rush me to start cooking them. I made him waiting till noon and... rock and roll! Get my small deep fryer, heat the oil till it's 375F and small batch (4-5) of wings in. Meantime, I started cooking my ginger-garlic-honey souse for wings.....
4.jpg

While doing that, started on green beans with smoked turkey... Oh, yeahhhhh... This was something: constantly switching between wings, souse and beans trying to not overcook something... Beans in the boiling water for 3 min. and then in ice water to keep them crunchy and color green.
6.jpg

7.jpg

My last batch of wings was done almost exactly when I finished my souse and greens...

1.jpg

5.jpg

The wings were very tender. They were crunchy at the beginning but souse made them softer later. I ate only 5 of them and my son finished the rest! As usual, the wife tried only one wing, said it was tasty and that's all - she doesn't like deep fried food.... But: my son said this was the best wings he ever ate! What I can say: the wings were delicious! They were somewhat different texture-wise from just deep fried or grilled wings. I cannot say they were better - but they were different and definitely, I will be making SV wings next time. Thank you for watching!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1
Well they sure look good . I've done this with chicken thighs ( SV then deep fry ) . I like the results .
Nice work .

Reactions: pushok2018
They look great. Are you willing to share the Sauce recipe? Sounds really good...JJ

Looks Great, Push!!
Everything Looks Mighty Tasty.----Like.
I would like that sauce recipe too.
It's close to one I used to have in Hawaii, made by my Hawaiian Platoon Set "SSG Ako".
All I remember was Soy Sauce, Ginger, Garlic, Sesame Seeds & Oil.
Might have been Honey in it too, but this was over 50 years ago.

Bear

All looks great! I tried the sous vide wings not too long ago and really enjoyed them! That souce sounds lime it would be really nice on the wings.

Everything Looks Mighty Tasty.----Like.
I would like that sauce recipe too.
It's close to one I used to have in Hawaii, made by my Hawaiian Platoon Set "SSG Ako".
All I remember was Soy Sauce, Ginger, Garlic, Sesame Seeds & Oil.
Thank you for the "LIKE", Bear! You are right: these same ingredients i had for my souse with exception of sesame seeds only. My wife is allergic to sesame staff so.... Will post the recipe later today.
All looks great! I tried the sous vide wings not too long ago and really enjoyed them! That souce sounds lime it would be really nice on the wings.
Thank you, Sowsage!

LIKE. Did they end up dry to the touch before the fry? Also, did they fall off the bone more than typical?

LIKE. Did they end up dry to the touch before the fry? Also, did they fall off the bone more than typical?
Thank you for the like, Sam!
1. The wings were placed in the fridge overnight to dry so... they were dry to the touch.
2. No, they didn't fall of the bone but they were definitely softer then if I would just deep fried them. I and my son liked this SV texture better...

Reactions: chopsaw
As promised, here is Honey-Ginger-Garlic souse recipe I used for chicken wings:
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 5 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 6 large garlic cloves crushed
  • 1 tablespoon finely diced ginger
  • 1 and a half tablespoon chili flakes
  • 1/3 cup water (reserve some water to dissolve the starch)
  • 2.5 teaspoon corn starch (dissolved in water and added to the hot mix)
  • cayenne pepper (by taste)

Reactions: chopsaw
Sounds good, Thanks...JJ

Never even crossed my mind to SV wings, but it sure is now!
They look fantastic & thanks for the sauce recipe!
Al

Never even crossed my mind to SV wings, but it sure is now!
They look fantastic & thanks for the sauce recipe!
Al

I LOVE chicken wings. This SV method sounds easy peasy and that sauce looks like something my wife would enjoy!
I wish they were not so expensive.

Al, I has asked previously about SV beef steaks, so I could just thaw to room temp and lay them on the fire pit to char/warm them up for a fast camp steak. Others thought it might be possible. it is something I want to try this spring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky