Sourdough Starter.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK... Rick (or anybody else)... can you expand on this a little more ? Feed 1:2:2 ... Is that somekind of ratio ?? Trying to catch on ... And you know some of us are SLOWWW...
Thats the bakers feeding ratio for just made starter.
Daily feeding 2x
say you have 25g starter you add 25g water and 25g flour 1:1:1
After 7 days discard all but 30g starter then add 60g water, 60g flour 1:2:2. So your feeding more after the 7 days which will jump start and rise faster. You should be baking around 14-17 days with a mature starter. You will need to continue the discard and regular feedings during the 17 days. Once established starter you can feed every other day. If it get slugging you can do 2:2:2 IE 60g starter 120g water 120g flour.

Are you still a dummy :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_astonished:

Daily feeding 2x
After 7 days discard all but 30g starter then add 60g water, 60g flour 1:2:2. So your feeding more after the 7 days which will jump start and rise faster. You should be baking around 14-17 days with a mature starter. You will need to continue the discard and regular feedings during the 17 days. Once established starter you can feed every other day. If it get slugging you can do 2:2:2 IE 60g starter 120g water 120g flour.

Are you still a dummy :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_astonished:
well....now that you mention it.

Jim

Daily feeding 2x

yes I am! also dense. Still do not understanding why we discard instead of keep feeding.

Reactions: DieselTech
So what do you do when it hits the peak rise ?
That's when it has the most yeast in it , and time to get your dough started .
So if your recipe calls for 100 grams of starter , you use 100 grams out of the jar .
Then feed what's left or discard it .

And how do you know when it peaks ?
When you feed , you mark the level with a rubber band . When it doubles in size it should be ready . When it peaks the top will be domed up .
Like this , I really needed to get it started .

20240504_093503.jpg

Waited and came back to this . You can see the top is sunk in , and it's on it's way back down .
That was yesterday . I did end up using it , but added a 1/2 tsp of
yeast to the dough . Just in case .
20240504_115158.jpg
If you compare the black sections on the jar , you can see it came up some more from the first picture . Was probably all the way up to the top .

Don't you know it... This is only about 10% of what needs to be learned... So, Yes I am...

So when feeding... Do you just dump the ingrediants on top... Or do you take it out and mix/knead it into the existing ?
Keep the starter in the jar or bowl (glass) and you will need to mix it up.

I stir my starters down every other day, helps to keep the oxygen going, pops gas for aeration.

If you get starter from me in a couple weeks it's going to be taking on wild yeasts in your area and will be diff from what I sent you. The starter will change to your area and could take longer to become mature.

So the starter is a liquid? I was thinking it is dough...

See... This is how uninformed I am...
Like a sorta runny pancake batter. not too thick that it sticks to spoon, not too runny that is slides right off.

I have plenty of Sunny's sweet bread starter in the freezer dehydrated but no sour dough starter backed up in a dehydrated form. Any difference in dehydrating? I would not think so but thought I would ask anyways.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky