Sourdough Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
First off, I'll say that I'm not a baker, I really could go without eating bread and never miss it. My parents, who are both gone now, loved to make bread and specifically sourdough, which I really liked. Digging through some of my parents' stuff, my wife found their recipe for sourdough bread and decided she would attempt it...
20230503_174118[1].jpg

Made the starter a couple of days ago...
20230503_174213[1].jpg

Bought the other stuff to make the bread and mixed everything up while I just watched...
20230503_174244[1].jpg

Into one of my mother's bowls and into the oven to proof overnight...
20230503_182701[1].jpg

20230503_182717[1].jpg

We'll see tomorrow, I'll be back...

I never used to be a baker either... until I landed in this place lol!
Not that I bake alot... and haven't gotten into sourdough but have made some pretty good buns.
With the help of some great members here.
Looking forward to see how this turns out! Especially with where the recipe came from.

Ryan

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I have gotten a way from eating a lot bread, at least the commercial stuff. But I do like a home made loaf every so often with a ton of butter and honey on it! In for the finish.

Jim

Charles, those instructions are wonderful! You should consider framing them.

I'm along for the ride.

Last edited:
The dough was allowed to proof in the oven all night, not sure why the oven, but that's what the recipe said. It has risen quite a bit...
20230504_053520[1].jpg

This morning my wife divided it into 3 loaf pans to rise for 5 more hours...
20230504_090559[1].jpg

She's supposed to bake them after she gets home from picking the grands up from school. More to come later...

Charles, those instructions are wonderful! You should consider framing them.

I'm along for the ride.

Or at least photocopy them and put the original in a secure place. Man that is better than family jewels right there.

jim

They are priceless, for sure. I actually have some others that are completely handwritten by my grandmother and her mother...

I'm getting back into sourdough baking after a hiatus of about 15 years. Got my starter going last week. Plan on discarding and feeding for about a month before doing any bread. I do use my discard for making pancakes and waffles.

Awesome fine wish I could find some of my grandmother's recipes, but she took them with nothing in writing. I do have a few and like yours well used and aged looking.
Sour dough one of my favorites as well.

Warren

I just renewed my sweet bread starter last night. I keep it in the oven over night and in the morning I take back my one cup to store. This morning I opened the oven door and the darn stuff was super activated. Blew the top off the mixing bowl. The black line is were it starts out. It was way over the top and dripping inside the oven. :emoji_laughing:
Was going to take before and after pictures but I forgot the after picture when I saw the mess.

Attachments

• 20230504_165254.jpg
    20230504_165254.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 9
How did the loaves turn out?

I had my starters in the fridge while we were on vacation, time to get em out and feed.

So how this come out Charles?

How did the loaves turn out?

I had my starters in the fridge while we were on vacation, time to get em out and feed.
Sorry for the late reply, but they turned out really good. The flavor was good, but they were smaller than what she had hoped for.

After about 8 more hours of rising...
20230504_165912[1].jpg

Baked at 350℉ for 35-40 minutes...
20230504_174527[1].jpg

I started just doing 2 loafs as they did not get that big with 3.
That's what she's going to do next time.

Thanks guys for sticking with me...:emoji_grinning:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky