1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sour Dough Starter

Discussion in 'Breads' started by Brian Trommater, Apr 29, 2019.

1. The first couple of days the starter smelled kinda of sweet. I was pretty sure got the right yeast going than yesterday, the final day, started smelling a little sour. Not sure if that is normal? Its in the fridge now and was planning on using next weekend.

2. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Where did you get the starter at?
    Ours came from King Arthur.
    I just smelled it & the smell is hard to describe.
    Kind of earthy & a bit sour.
    Is it bubbly?
    Al

3. I started it just mixing water and flour and letting sit out. I think it probable fine. My other one is from a friend and is liquid. Dost not really have much smell but pretty sure it was started years ago from packaged yeast. I wanted one from wild yeast. Want to make that bread Devo1 made.

4. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You are probably fine. I can't remember ours lost it a while back but it should have some what of a sour smell.

Warren

6. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

7. That the one I used. Will give it a go this weekend.

8. Yay to SD!

I started one a year or so back, the same way as you and it is awesome (maintenance every 2 days is admittedly getting old though...going to fridge-store it soon). It is so strong though, if you dropped a rat in there it would be eaten alive.

As long as you don't see any black blobs you're good. Should smell sour, but can take on other smells depending on the bacteria-yeast combo. Mine has actually evolved. Started only semi-sour but has since picked up nice sourness.

Next thing you gotta do is try to get a good crust that won't cut your mouth (egg wash, bake in a dutch oven, steam in the oven, etc).

9. Guess starter not ready. Bread has not risen all day. Been that kind of week. Threw 8 lbs bacon in trash this week. Some how went bad during cure. Cut finger on mandoline. Hit stump and broke mower yesterday, broke favorite glass and so on. Doing high heat grilled ribs tonight. Maybe luck will change.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  10. I threw in the towel to make my own starter. Just order this

61pfy+x-ptL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  11. bregent

bregent Master of the Pit OTBS Member

12. With my schedule I pretty much just have weekends to do. I could start it Friday afternoon. Is the levain usually ready by the second day? Is it OK to leave out over night after the 3rd feeding to use next morning? Guess I need to take a class on this!

13. flatbroke

flatbroke Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The odds are in favor of change, buy a lotto ticket.

14. bregent

bregent Master of the Pit OTBS Member

The levain has always been ready a few hours after the 3rd feeding. There are several ways to make it work around your schedule. The 4 hour feeding schedule does not need to be strictly followed. You can let it go 5-6 hours or more if necessary. When I building the levain, I will usually start it in the morning. If it's a Saturday, then I can feed it during the day. If a weekday and my wife or son are home, I can have them do the feeding. If nobody is home, I will start it in the morning and take it to work along with pre-measured water/flour mix for the second feeding, then do the 3rd when I get home.

Once fully active, I put the levain in the fridge and keep it till the next morning, or up to 24 hours before I make the dough. So you could make the dough the next evening. Once the dough is made, you can either let it rise and then bake, or retard it in the fridge for several days.

So you have a lot of flexibility with it and should be able to work it around most schedules.

15. Great advice. Thanks.