Sour Dough Starter from Scratch (no yeast culture)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would be happy to send you some of my dried starter Ray. I could also make a stiff one for shipping and just need to add some water to it. Also don't use tap water.
Thank you Brian! I really appreciate the offer but I'm scrapping this entire effort for right now. I make buns for my burgers and rye in the bread machine for my Reuben sannys, that's enough bread for now. I emailed that dough company and told them their stuff was garbage, they'll probably want to send me more. I could have made pancakes for a family of four with all the batter I've tossed, I've had it. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Won't be long before you're folding dough!
Do you switch to 12hour feedings at the end?
I didn't carry over the discard after my last bake and need to start another culture. I think I'll try the 1:1:2 thing...
Honestly, it has been so long since I made a starter from scratch that I don't remember if I switched up the feedings. But it your kitchen is warm, the starter will be more active and you can accelerate the process with double daily feedings.

Just the change up from 1:1:1 to 1:1:2 on day 5 or 6....boom!
IMG_20230201_101506.jpg

Explosion of yeast! doubled in 6 hours and kept rising to triple before collapsing. Smells like a bakery...really great smell! Will keep with the process of building strength for a couple more days then it;ll be time to bake! I'm thinking ciabatta bread for the first loaf!

Honestly, it has been so long since I made a starter from scratch that I don't remember if I switched up the feedings. But it your kitchen is warm, the starter will be more active and you can accelerate the process with double daily feedings.
At the last, when it's rising and falling so fast, I'll feed it twice the day before I plan to mix. Then I feed it first thing in the morning and at about the 4hr point it's rising like gangbusters and that's when I use it.
I'd be interested in the Ciabatta recipe if you go that route. Never made it....

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky