1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sorry....

Discussion in 'ABT's' started by bangstick, Jul 10, 2018.

1. bangstick

bangstick Smoke Blower

I apologize if this has been covered on here before but I have to ask. Is it ever ok to use pickled jalapenos when making ABTs or do they always have to be fresh?

I ask because one of my favorite appetizers is smoked gouda and bacon pimento chees stuffed pickled jalapenos but I'm also a big fan of ABTs.

Is it doable or should I stick with the fresh peppers for smoking ABTs?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this has already been covered.

2. oddegan

oddegan Smoking Fanatic

I don't think there are hard and fast rules. This is cooking. You should make things to your own taste. It's about what YOU like. I say go for it. Just post pics!

3. joedube70

joedube70 Meat Mopper

Do what you and your guest want! That is really the only people who matter. :)

4. bangstick

bangstick Smoke Blower

I was curious as to how well the pickled jalapenos would hold up to smoking/cooking versus the fresh jalapenos.

Aint but one way to find out, I reckon.

5. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Go for it. Take lots of pix and let us know how it turns out!

6. I wouldn't be surprised if the pickled peppers got really mushy but give it a shot and let us know.

7. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I'd be interested to know how this works too! I'm a fan of pickled jalapenos. Along with a bunch of other veggies that can be pickled.

8. bangstick

bangstick Smoke Blower

I might try some this weekend. I'll report back with pics and details.

9. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I'll be waiting to hear your full report!

10. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

To me, recipes are a general guideline. More of a "This is how I did it..."
    So trying variations is a good thing. If Pickled jalapenos is what you've got, give them a shot.
    At the worst you can say yuk, at the best you may find something you, and anybody else, likes a LOT.

Except Lima Beans, and Rutabagas. Every time I have tried those they get a big X beside them....
    YMMV, and that's OK.

11. myownidaho

myownidaho Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Absolutely. I use jalapeños escabeche style all the time. They turn out fantastic and the pickling and flavorings add another level.