Soot in cabinet and on food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eatatmidnight

Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
I'm hoping y'all can help me find some answers.
I've been smoking about 20 years. I started with the bullet shaped smokers and about 5 years ago got a Masterbuilt propane cabinet smoker with 1 door.

Round 1 All was well until Labor Day weekend, it was in the 90's. The smoker was in front of our garage which provided shade and shelter from the wind. I filled her up with ribs and pork butt with pecan and cherry chunks (from bags I had used earlier in the summer), around 235, just like always. An hour or so into the smoke, I opened the door to check on the wood chunks and water pan; just like always. But this time, there was a layer of soot covering the food and inside of the cabinet. Not like always. I pulled the meat and could wipe off the soot. So I let the smoker cool and cleaned the inside with a wet rag and garden hose and let her dry. I came to the forums and read a few threads that mentioned ventilation, which wasn't different this time and another forum mentioned soaking my wood chunks, which I hadn't done before.

Round 2 Connected a different tank, fired up the smoker, using soaked pecan and cherry wood chunks with the vents wide open....same result. Soot covered the food and the inside of the smoker. I pulled the food.

Round 3, Detail cleaned the whole smoker. Reseasoned it (I don't know if it was necessary but it made me feel good). Bought new wood chunks. Today, temps in upper 70's, I put on ribs and whole chicken. Same result. Soot covered the food and the inside of the smoker. I pulled the food.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the wood, but I haven't changed any part of the process. I've used 3 varieties of wood chunks. Two from earlier in the summer and one that I bought yesterday.

What the heck is going on?

-It's a Masterbuilt propane smoker that hasn't been altered
-I use a 1/2 size aluminum steam table pan for my water
-I use an old Calphalon skillet set on top of the flimsy Masterbuilt wood chip thing, for my wood chunks (it isn't non stick)
-Vents are open
-Same result with soaked and unsoaked wood chunks

Any ideas would be appreciated

I'm not familiar with propane, but maybe your burner isn't providing a "clean burn". I'm just guessing here. See if you have soot with no wood.

Mike

It's likely a dirty flame. Take a look. You should have nothing but Blue flame. Yellow is the result of insufficient Oxygen. It is extremely common for spiders or other insects to take up residence in your venturi messing with the gas/air mix. Some stiff wire will make for a quick eviction...JJ

Do you keep a record of the smoker temperature? Do you have a rack probe?
I don't keep a journal or anything. I use a Maverick digital thermometer in the cabinet because I don't trust the thermometer on the smoker. The temps range from 225-250, depending on what I am cooking. I am not quite sure what a rack probe is.

Thanks guys,

I'll be checking around the burner and taking a wire brush to it.

I have the same problem. I just light it up and at 225 I have a blue flame about 3/4" and a small amount of yellow. When I crank it up to 275 same blue but 1" or more of yellow. Not a good thing!

0B619B41-5D69-4819-BB6D-AD9B06AF621F.jpeg A914C458-1425-4363-B1D9-B6A0AB637895.jpeg 97F01EBA-A5B0-4241-850C-A76DD2C86821.jpeg I’ve cleaned around the burner. Here’s what it looks like in low, medium and high. It looks like a burner problem to me. But could it be a regulator issue?

So I cleaned out the venture and did a soapy water test on all the gas connections and lines. No leaks any where. Fired it up and yellow was smaller. Will there always be some yellow? Called MB and they said next step is to replace the burner.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

A small yellow tip on high is not uncommon but at medium or low, the flame should be all blue...JJ

Reactions: eatatmidnight
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky