• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sometimes you just have to feel good.

alblancher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Mar 6, 2009
I cooked a bunch of butts for a friend's retirement luncheon.  

I found out that my wife's boss brought some of that pulled pork to the hospital for a young friend fighting Leukemia. The young man hadn't eaten in a while and the nurse frowned but turned her head when the BBQ entered the room  

Liz's boss called this afternoon and said the boy ate three large sandwiches and that there is now a picture of him with a great big smile and mouth full of pulled pork hanging over his bed.

Sometimes you just gotta feel good.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 12, 2008
Great story Al!

Thoughts and prayers go out to him.

And if he's able to make a recovery you can always take credit that the BBQ was the just what the doctor ordered.  The hospital will have you catering to all their patients.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Good story and I'm sure it made you and the young man both feel good

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
If that's what got him to eat a good meal maybe the medical field should take note. Your a good man. Amen. 

alblancher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Mar 6, 2009
I really wish I could take credit, 

Sometimes nice things just happen.

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Great story Al - I love it when something little turns into a big success.  Bless you my friend

tom37

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 24, 2009
Al, thats awesome man. In a case like this words are not needed to let ya know how good your cookin was. 

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
Man, it doesn't matter how good that Q was.  Just the blessing it brought is enough.  Great job!

Good luck and good smoking!

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
A very touching story.

My SO has been in the hematology field for many years and she has had some truly, truly sad stories that tug on my heartstrings.

My daughter's friend was diagnosed with Lukemia last month after receiving chemo for another disease, shes 17 years old, I am not a very religious person but pray for these people andd their loved ones every time I think of them.

Thanks for sharing.

big twig

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 24, 2011
Great story. My wife's cousin had cancer twice and now has leukemia but she is getting better after a bone marrow transplant. I wish I could send her some food (in Texas) but I am sure she has plenty around her. Thanks for sharing!

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Great Story Al !

Thanks,

Bear

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Thanks Al! They need to put a caption on that picture that reads "Behold the power of BBQ!"

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nothing like a feel good story to get you going. Thanks Al!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.