Some tips on smoking a ham please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doug123

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 14, 2006
Pittsburgh
Hey everybody,

We are going to Wal-Mart soon for a grocery order and we just decided on a last minute smoke for a ham.

I'm just going to pick up a cheap, pre-cooked, non smoked one.

I'm going to look around for what to do but if anyone can get back to me in the meantime I'd appreciate it. Haven't smoked a ham yet.

I'm thinking to rub with yellow mustard, maybe cajun seasoning rub, spray with apple juice then foil with apple juice at some point. Not sure of the temps yet. Gotta look. I know I don't have to worry since it is already cooked, but don't want to overcook.

I'm going to try mixing pecan wood with cherry for smoke.

Any additional info before 2pm est would be appreciated :D

Thanks!!!

I forgot to mention, I was going to take out the water pan to get up to 318. I'm figuring it doesn't matter since this is already cooked and not tough. Please let me know if that is not the way to do it.

I'm hoping to have it on the grates at 2pm and done in time for dinner, hopefully by 6pm. That is why I was going for the extra heat.

Thanks!

Hi Doug,

If you have any pineapple juice, chunks, crushed etc, and some brown sugar you could inject it or make a glaze. You can't go wrong with pineapple and ham :D

Thanks Rodger. I did end up using pineapple chunks.

My wife made a glaze out of brown sugar, yellow mustard, prepared mustard, apple juice, molasses, and a few other things I saw her whip in there but don't remember now.

Turned out pretty good but I didn't smoke it near long enough. I pulled it at only 98 degrees because we were all starving and it was getting late.

Still good though.

By the way the pecan and cherry mix was fantastic. Thanks for the tip. That will be my preferred wood mix from now on 8)

I think I am going to try an apple, pecan mix also...

Before

After

Looks great Doug,

Glad you liked the pecan/cherry combo. I think it is real good. I haven't tried apple/pecan yet, but I have been using apple chips and cherry chunks mixed and I like that a lot too.

Looks great doug!

Sorry I didn't see your request for info sooner as I just went through this myself. Did you happen to see my post on the same question here?

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1955

I found a great way to do such a ham and another really great recipe was posted by jminion!

A lot of good info and pics there.

ranger72 :>)

OTBS # 14

My family and friends love my smoked hams. I get the pre-cooked hams and get them home rinse them off and dry them a tad. Then I put a thin coat of mustard and I use a dry rub 8parts brown suger 3parts kosher salt 1part tonys then 1part of different seasonings (garlic powder, tyme, chilie powder, pepper, onion powder, paprika) what ever I have on hand.I do this in a roasting pan put about half a cup of apple juice in the pan and baste it every hour or so. I then smoke it at 250 till it reaches 165 inside then pull it off let it rest for about 10min or so under foil. they always turn out very good I done a 10lb ham a few weeks back an had a family I go to church with 2 adults 3 children and had two small slices left. I then done two hams for the same family (death in the family) one was 10lb one was 12lb and the hams lasted about two days. I was then told by the wife of my friend that Im smoking something for her birthday soon. Hope this helps sorry if it sounds like im bragging.

Hi Ranger,

Yes, I did find yours. I was pretty much using your post as a guide and saw Jim's info as well. Thanks, it came in handy.

I liked it, need to smoke longer next time though. My wife warmed up the leftovers in the oven tonight and it was pretty dang tasty.

I forgot to mention, I used a vegetable peeler to skin the rind off the ham. Worked pretty well. Wanted to pass that info along to anyone else who might be trying it.

I'll be looking forward to trying this again. Next time I won't be trying to rush it.

Hey that sounds good Duncan. Might have to give that a try next time.

In the immortal words of Dizzy Dean:

"It ain't bragging if you can back it up..." :D

Hi Doug!!

I'll be! A veggie peeler! I'm trying to picture that in my mind's eye! See; my problem is that my wife doesn't trust me with sharp instruments :lol:

Anyway; we had our ham for dinner the day we smoked it and then the usual ham sammies and then I had this shank bone left with a decent charge of ham still left on it.

So I took a pound of dried split peas (any grocery store) and rinsed them well in a colander and added 1 quart water and 1 quart chicken stock and brought them to a boil and let them boil for two-three minutes and let them sit off the heat, covered, for two hours.

This helps to soften them up. Then, I placed the shank bone in the pot brought the whole concoction back to a boil let it boil for 5 minutes,stirring so it doesn't burn, then reduce heat so a slow rolling simmer and covered it once again and let it simmer for approximately 3 hours.

During the last hour of cooking I took a large peeled onion and chopped it. (large chop).

I checked it fairly often and stirred same so as not to burn.

When the meat from the shank started falling off the bone I helped it the rest of the way with my trusty veggie peeler :P and returned the chopped ham to the pot.

Voila! A nice pot of Split-Pea soup with nice smoky ham! 8)

A little crusty bread, and a green salad and that's a nice meal!

Try it some time.

ranger72 :)

OTBS # 14

Hey Ranger,

Now that sounds good :D

My wife used the rest of ours up for dinner tonight but next time I do one I am definitely going to make some soup 8)

Hi Doug,

I like it a lot! It is a very rich concoction with a lot of flavor but please insure that you pay attention to the rolling simmer in the last hour or so because once it starts to thicken up it can stick to the bottom of the pan very easily.

Stir it often.

ranger72 :)

OTBS # 14

That would make for a fine autumn supper! Good thoughts…good food!
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky