Some Reverse Seared Ribeyes .... on my new toy. :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
I have a new toy to play with... this was my first attempt at using the Hasty Bake. I went with some reverse seared ribeyes.
Low smoked the steaks for 45 minutes then kicked up the heat for a high temp. sear.

This is a charcoal unit but I used smoking pellets for flavor..

I went with simple olive oil, kosher salt and cracked black pepper..

The hot coal rack is adjustable so I lowered it to slow smoke the steaks at 200 for about 45 minutes with a bit of hickory......Also added a skillet of morels, portabellas and button shrooms with garlic, butter and olive oil.

I moved the steaks to the upper rack for a few minutes while I raised the hot coal rack to the highest setting. I wanted the grate to heat up for a good sear before adding the steaks. (not sure if that was necessary but it worked)

seared my steaks and olive oil, kosher salt, cracked black peppered asparagus.

I made a wild grape wine, morel infused sauce to top the steak...

The Hasty Bake was amazing... I can see several benefits to having one of these. My little mind is reeling with ideas to try. lol

Thank you for looking!

Reactions: bbally
Interesting looking toy, and GREAT looking dinner!  The sauce sounds amazing (love morels!) and grilled asparagus are some of my favorites.

Did you get enough smoke flavor?  Was it even necessary (I know, that question is sacrilege!) based on the fact that you were searing and cooking over coals and adding a mushroom/wine sauce?

Thanks LM!!
biggrin.gif

Interesting looking toy, and GREAT looking dinner!  The sauce sounds amazing (love morels!) and grilled asparagus are some of my favorites.

Did you get enough smoke flavor?  Was it even necessary (I know, that question is sacrilege!) based on the fact that you were searing and cooking over coals and adding a mushroom/wine sauce?
Thank you Steven!

The steaks took on a nice smoke..  That's the way I do all of my steaks if I have the time.  I like to low smoke them for at least 45 minutes to an hour before searing. 

The morel sauce is one of my favorites!! Love it on venison.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure the sauce wasn't needed but I just love it. lol 

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Everything looks excellent Jeanie. That's some sweet little new toy you have there. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Al and Tyotrain!  So far I like the thing. :) 

Tasty looking chow!!!

Have a great day!!

Craig

Jeanie....I gotta say, I've done my share of steaks and sauces on the line but those look fabulous. Outstanding work and sides. Your presentation is awesome as well....that's a hundred dollar cover in any steak house...Kudos

Thank you Lilricky! :)

If you would lift the restraining order I could come eat with you!
icon_mrgreen.gif
lol Bob, consider it  lifted!! Thanks...
biggrin.gif

Thank you Craig, Les and 55499! :)

That baby is way to clean. You better get to work on smoke staining that sucker up. Great looking smoke and congrats on the new toy!

I know!! I need to bring out the bacon or something with lots of sauce...  Thanks Ross! :)

Jeanie....I gotta say, I've done my share of steaks and sauces on the line but those look fabulous. Outstanding work and sides. Your presentation is awesome as well....that's a hundred dollar cover in any steak house...Kudos

Willie, Thank you so much!!  That's very kind of you to say...
cool.gif

When I make this sauce it reminds me of the fun I had last spring, gathering the morels... and last summer gathering wild grapes for the wine. Then my image goes "poof" when I think about breaking ice for the cattle all winter. lol

Thanks again Willie...

jeebus jeanie.....yer killin me here with all this great food. looks like a fun toy..........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky