SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce (For Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My wife was very suspicious of this. She said she liked just the taste of the pulled pork and she never added any BBQ sauce to it herself in the past. But when i used this finishing sauce she was in heaven. She loved it. I knew it would be good because of what you all said here. Thanks for the tip and the recipe SoFlaQuer!

Tried your sauce today at work. Did 5 butts and two briskets and the mustard sauce was great!! Thanks!!

Thanks a million
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
your finishing sauce help make my first pork butt smoke awesome.

I have a quick question on the ingredients. I went to Wal-mart to get the Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning but only found Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Is this the same thing or at least close enough to use?

Yes iamrip that is it. I have never even seen it labeled as cajun, it is always creole in the stores around here.

Do any of the major grocers carry Tony's seasoning? I avoid Walmart if I can its a damn zoo going in there! If I can't find it, is there anything else close to it that I can use!?

Thanks I can't wait to try this!

I found it at Price Chopper (I'm in Missouri, don't know if you have those where you are). I made it just the other night and loved it. Although I put a tad too much on it (before I had gotten thru all the posts regarding amount to use).

I don't think we have any price choppers near me! How much is too much to use? I couldnt find a post that talked about the amount to dump on!

Thanks!

I have a different brand of creole seasoning and it works great.
McCormicks makes one, SlapYo Mamma, Cajun land, Konriko.

But it's easy to make:

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Some versions of Creole seasoning blend contain salt -- I don't do that, because I like to control salt content separately. If you want to though you can start with 2 tablespoons salt in the blend, increasing up to 4 tablespoons depending on your sodium tolerance level.[/font]
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]
  • 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
  • 2 tablespoons dried sweet basil
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon celery seed
  • 5 tablespoons sweet paprika
Combine in food processor and pulse until well-blended, or mix thoroughly in a large bowl. The recipe doubles or triples well.
[/font]

Reactions: thatcho
Wow thanks for all the info Cinnamon! I will print that out for reference!

Appreciate it very much!

Sub the creol for the cajun is fine. Also Zatarans is good. I live in Louisiana and Tonys and Zatarans on the tables of many eating joints down here. Good stuff.

Mix up as large an amount of the dry ingredients as you wish. You can store unregrigerated for months in a tightly sealed glass container.

When ready to use, measure out 3 TBS of the dry mix and combine with 1 Cup vinegar.

You should be good to go. This is to be on the safe side. With that much vinegar, I wonder if even this would be necessary?

Given this a try today with a few mods one I subbed the Cajun seasoning didn't have any but will get some for the next one with a sweet and tangy spice from Weber and added in some garlic powder never enough garlic :)

Hello everybody, new here, great thread!  Is there a rule of thumb on how much finishing sauce you should use?  Is it one cup per butt or more than that?  Thanks, Mike, Issaquah, WA 

I have found A little goes A long way. I do use this on every butt I do but it is quite vinegary. After it is in the meat for A while it mellows out though. Couldn't do without it now that I know about it. Thanks Jeff. You rule!

Here ya go Gary.....

I copied this to a separate post due to the requests for it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".

Jeff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky