Soaking belly post cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeybo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Hi,

I'm (finally) getting around to smoking my first belly as I've had my belly in the Cure #1 (i got the Fiesta brand from H-E-B for my Texas folks) for 12 days so far. Question is should I rinse only, or rinse + soak to avoid that extra saltiness?

I've read the threads about not needing to soak as long as I let it cure long enough because the neutralization of salt/sugar process but I don't want to have wasted 16 days by not soaking.

My question is if I soak it for say 3-4 hours will it also remove some of the seasoning (I put a medley of spices in with the cure, salt & brown sugar)? Maybe I'll cut in half and do a soaked version vs a non soaked to see how things turn out.

Rinse and then fry a few test pieces. If too salty you can soak, otherwise just proceed to smoking.

Cut a couple of strips before rinsing. Fry them up. If too salty, THEN rinse for an hour or so. Slice couple more strips. if still salty, soak the belly in cool water for an hour or so

is there a risk in thinking it's too salty when test frying right after the curing period? just wondering if the resting/equilibrium period will help mellow out the flavors, including the saltiness.

What was your curing recipe ??? If you used 0.25% cure salt, 1.1 grams per pound or 1 tsp per 5#'s..... and approx 1.8 to 2% kosher salt, and 1% sugar.... rinse lightly, dry the surface, form a pellicle and smoke....
It will not be too salty... your are golden....

Reactions: chef jimmyj
What was your curing recipe ??? If you used 0.25% cure salt, 1.1 grams per pound or 1 tsp per 5#'s..... and approx 1.8 to 2% kosher salt, and 1% sugar.... rinse lightly, dry the surface, form a pellicle and smoke....
It will not be too salty... your are golden....

recipe (5lbs belly from HEB):
tsp cure #1
half cup salt
half cup sugar
few cracks of fresh ground black pepper
handful of some spice mix from HEB (it was good on some ribs I made last summer)

What kind of salt? Kosher salt, table sat, sea salt??? They all weigh differently by volume which is why it is best to weigh the salt instead of measuring by volume in TBSPS, cups, etc...

Kosher salt

And it was too salty
test piece was like eating a saladito
In the fresh water soak it goes...

1/2 cup of salt is probably way too much, regardless of the type. 5lbs of belly would need 40 grams of salt @ 2%. You've probably used closer to 120-140, or 3-4 times too much! That's probably also 5x too much sugar. Where did you find the recipe? I'd suggest using a good cure calculator like the one below and measure by weight rather than volume:

Cure Calculator
http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html?

Note that you might need to soak much longer than 4 hours, and change the water a few times to get it down to where it's not too salty.

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
1/2 cup of salt is probably way too much, regardless of the type. 5lbs of belly would need 40 grams of salt @ 2%. You've probably used closer to 120-140, or 3-4 times too much! That's probably also 5x too much sugar. Where did you find the recipe? I'd suggest using a good cure calculator like the one below and measure by weight rather than volume:

Cure Calculator
http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html?

Note that you might need to soak much longer than 4 hours, and change the water a few times to get it down to where it's not too salty.

I need to order a gram scale from Prime
I'll go grab two more half slabs (they were all ~5.0lbs) and try this again being more precise this time

The goal was to smoke my first belly on Friday/Saturday

I started my first pork belly's two weeks ago that are each around 4 pounds and used roughly 2 TB of kosher salt, or 1/8 of a cup, for each. I thought that was a bit salty, i can't imagine 4x the salt!

Stop using volume measurements... You have no control to get a great product.... For ~ $10 you can get a very good grams scale.... Get the 0-100 grams scale... It's more accurate...
.....click on this link....

......... Grams scale

Stop using volume measurements... You have no control to get a great product.... For ~ $10 you can get a very good grams scale.... Get the 0-100 grams scale... It's more accurate...
.....click on this link....

......... Grams scale

I bought that scale last night for $9
Should be here tomorrow

Soaked belly for 12hrs then changed water and soaked another 4hrs
I'm going to smoke it regardless now
It's sitting in the fridge getting the pelicle now

The next batch will be more scientific

Reactions: daveomak
They were smoking with hickory pellets for about 2.5 hrs before I went to Walmart to get some cheese. I have a 12 time and half way through it caught fire and flamed up. Luckily I caught it and extinguished it.

Ambient temperature was 80 when I began smoking but temp will fall to 45 overnight.
I plan on at least twelve hours of smoke. 6pm to 6am

I'll post pics and a video later

Woke up and took them off at 600am today.
Nice smoked color.
Although it wasn't hard as a brick as I've seen some other slabs.
That video from Benton's that was posted here those slabs seemed pretty dry and inflexible from what I could tell. Almost like Serrano ham.
Mine is still a bit "fatty" and slightly flexible like it didn't dry out.

https://ibb.co/FmhmSKh

I need to start from the beginning and learn how to pick a belly.
I want mine a little more lean than this.

I sectioned it into 3lbs and 2lbs
3lbs got a spice medelly the 2lbs piece only got salt and sugar

Oven is on 275 now warming up

I also did cheese
Gouda
Pepper jack
Mozz
Mild cheddar

I like the mozz the best....AMAZING

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky