So You Wanna Make Salami....EH

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Some info for the new salami makers who dont have all the equipment.
It's not as hard as you think.
Just follow and be as safe as you can with what you got to work with. I did many like this in the RV with 0 issues.

How can you tell that the salami is bad?​

Your salami is spoiled if it is greasy and has a sour smell. Also, if greenish mold is visible, it is beyond saving.

What is the shelf life of salami?​

In one piece, your salami will keep for several months if stored in a cool place. When sliced, you can eat it for about 2 weeks.

Can I make salami myself without a meat grinder?​

You would like to make your own salami, but you don’t have a meat grinder at home, and you don’t want to buy one?

There are 2 variants how you can make salami without a meat grinder.

1. Ask your trusted butcher if he could grind the ingredients for you. IE Fresh non injected pork butt
  2. Do all the steps according to the instructions until you get to the point where the meat has to go into the meat grinder. Here you simply cut your meat into very small pieces. This takes longer, but it also works. Again non injected whole pork butt.

My salami is moldy, what can I do?​

If you see that your salami is moldy, you can wash it with a little vinegar water. You can repeat this process more often if necessary.

The more the salami matures and thus dries, the less likely new mold will appear.

IMPORTANT: This only applies to white mold to a small degree. If you are unsure, better throw your salami away and don’t experiment.

Can I make my own salami without cure and starter cultures?​

Yes in general, but in all likelihood you can’t.

If you do not have the necessary knowledge and equipment you should never do it without cure otherwise your salami will spoil due to the rapid growth of bad bacteria.

Production without cure is extremely difficult. When someone makes salami without it, perfect conditions are created, which is almost impossible to do at home without perfect equipment.

My salami has a dry outer ring, what can I do?​

If you don’t have a curing chamber, it can quickly happen that the salami dries out at the edge quite quickly and forms an unwanted dry ring.

There are two ways to prevent this:

1. Rub the salami with salt water (approx. 30 g / l). This will soften the edge again.
  2. Vacuum the salami for a week. This draws moisture from the inside to the outside and the edge becomes softer.

Start easy and small

Here is a very easy user friendly recipe.

INGREDIENTS PER 1 KG
70 % lean pork (700g)
30 % pork back fat (300g)

Spices per Kg of ground meat

21.5 g non iodized salt
2.5 g Cure 1 (You can use cure 2, your sticks will be very hard)
8 g paprika
3 g dextrose powder
2 g pepper
2 g garlic powder

Your going to need a grinder, stuffer and sheep casing (20-22)

Easy process.
1. Cut the meat into strips or cubes. The size varies depending on how big your meat grinder is. The bigger the grinder, the bigger your pieces of meat can be.

2. Mix the spices with the salt and cure 1.

3. Now mix the spices with the meat. Make sure that everything is covered evenly.

4. Now put the meat in the freezer for 1-2 hours.

Tip: Put the parts of your meat grinder also in the freezer. This will keep the meat cooler later on.

5. Now it’s time to grind the meat. Grind the meat once through the medium plate 1x.

6. Now mix the mass with your hands for a few minutes until a nice binding is formed.

7. You can now fill the mixture into casings.

8. Once you have a full length twist and make salami sticks. You can decide the length for yourself.

9. Now use a needle or a sausage picker to open any air pockets. in the casing.

10. Hang the sticks for 24 hours at room temperature 20 – 25 C° (67 – 77°F). The bathroom usually works very well. If you want to be on the safe side, you can sprinkle them with a little water from time to time. (use of a spray bottle here)

11. After 24 hours you can hang the salami sticks in a cooler place. Experience shows that anything below 15 degrees Celsius (59 Fahrenheit) will work. If you don’t have a suitable basement, you can even use the refrigerator here. However it is important that the salami sticks do not touch anything.

The ripening time depends on your desired degree of hardness. For me, 2 weeks are perfect. But this is a matter of taste.

If you let them dry for a shorter time, they’ll be more like Mettwurst. The longer you let them hang, the drier/harder they will be. It’s best to check the hardness once every few days to get a feel for it.

12. You did it, Your salami sticks are done.....Enjoy

Thanks

But I'm just a deputy now, My sheriff is inda. Much more advanced and I'm learning now from him.

I do not think that you have to throw the whole salami out if it has some green mold on it. Every time I make salami I spray it down with mold 600 and even then, a little green mold starts forming. I just wipe it off with vinegar and have had no problems doing that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky